All of your award funds both research and travel, go into an account referred to as a FOAP. If your award was made in an odd numbered fiscal year (e.g., Academic Year 2018-19) the funds go into an O FOAP (“O” for “odd”); if your award was made in an even numbered fiscal year (e.g., Academic Year 2019-20) the funds go into an E FOAP. You’ll have an individual O FOAP number and an individual E FOAP number, which you can find at any time by going to the FDF gnosis site, clicking on the award year and semester, and looking at the top of your screen.

If you'd like to check the balance in your FOAP, follow the instructions in this balance query demonstration video.

Yes. FOAPs expire at the end of the fiscal year after the award was made, so you have roughly 15-20 months to use them. In other words, if you receive an award in either Fall 2019 or Spring 2020, those funds will be available until August 15, 2021; after that, your E FOAP will go back to zero. If you receive an award in either Fall 2020 or Spring 2021, those funds will be available until August 15, 2022; after that, your O FOAP will go back to zero.

For travel and equipment reimbursements, you submit an expense report in Concur. Accounting and Business Services provides instructions and a tutorial. You’ll need: a copy of your award letter; the Fund number (your individual FDF number found on the gnosis site, 28XXXX), the Charging Organization (211042), and Program Code (1200). Be sure that you are selecting the individual Fund number that matches the project for which the award was made.

A note on meal reimbursements: The expense type to use for food is Meal Allotment 716430. No receipts are required. Instead, attach the FDF award letter, which shows the amount awarded for meals, in the meal receipt area.

Be sure to keep track of your expenditures so that you don’t overspend. Faculty are expected to process their own reimbursements; program assistants have been trained on this and can provide assistance, but processing awards for all faculty is outside of the scope of their job. Travel reimbursement requests should be submitted within 10 days of the date of the completion of travel.

For research assistants, you must post a job listing. Once you’ve identified an RA, you process their hire through Workday. Your program assistant should be able to help you with this. Be sure their payments are set up from the FOAP (O FOAP or E FOAP) that matches the project for which the award was made. Be sure to keep track of your expenditures so that you don’t overspend. 

You can check your RA expenditures on Workday at any time; your program assistant should be able to help with this. This, along with periodic checks of your FOAP balance, should allow you to recognize when you are running out of funds. At that point, your RA will need to stop work right away; or, if you have received funds in your other FOAP to continue the research, you will need to use Workday to change the payment arrangement to that other FOAP.

You may also want to use our handy RA Hours Tracking Sheet (coming soon!) in Excel, which will calculate expenditures, including the cost of benefits, and your remaining balance based on your manual entry of billed RA hours.

No, but the CAS Office of Operations can help you purchase airline tickets without using a personal credit card using a “ghost P-card." Please contact Sharon Li or Dan Dao for details.

For expenses incurred overseas, please include original receipts (or quotes) in the country’s currency with an expense report completed in US dollars. When converting to US dollars for international travel, the University requires that receipts be converted on the day of the expense or final bill. Please go online to one of the converters and be sure to include the exact date of conversions (and not the current day’s date). Each conversion for each receipt must have a printed copy of the conversion from the online converter submitted with the receipt.

Reimbursement is typically by direct deposit into your bank account. If you have not set this up, please download a reimbursement direct deposit form and email the competed form to Note that this form is different from the direct deposit form for salary.

You can check your balance, broken down by types of expenditures, at any time through Self-Service Banner by going to myUSF and clicking on Employee Self Service. To check your account balance, you’ll need your individual FDF number (28XXXX) and the Organization number (211042).

This demonstration video shows you how to check balances in Self Service Banner.

Here are the basic instructions: 1) Log into myUSF and click on Employee Self-Service. 2) Click on the Finance tab. If you don't see a Finance tab, contact Sharon Li or Dan Dao. 3) Select Budget Queries. 4) Select Budget Status by Account then click on Create Query. 5) Check only the following boxes: Total Available Budget; Year to Date; Encumbrances; Reservations; and Available Balance. 6) Select the correct fiscal year (Academic Year 2018-19 is Fiscal Year 2019, AY 2019-20 is FY 2020, and so on), and enter the Fund code of your FDF (28XXXX) and organization code (211042). Fiscal Period should be 14, Comparison Fiscal year should be None, Comparison Fiscal period should be none, Chart of Accounts should be S, and everything else should be left blank. 7) View the Results page. Your available balance will be on the bottom right.

Keep in mind that the balance shown may not reflect recent charges and will not show you the balance of any particular award (since all awards, travel and research, go into a single FOAP based on the fiscal year in which you received them). You may also want to use our handy FDF Award Tracking Sheet (coming soon!) to keep track of your expenditures by award and award type. This Excel sheet, which you can adapt as needed, will calculate your remaining balances based on your manual entry of awarded amounts and expenditures.

No. There is no mechanism for automatic notifications when your funds are getting low and faculty are responsible for keeping track of their expenditures and account balances. (You might think of it as similar to managing a personal budget and bank account.) Please track your expenditures and check your balance regularly to avoid overdrawing your account, and contact the Office of Operations if you have questions. If you have an RA and funds are getting low, you must alert them to stop their work.

If you realize that you’ve asked for more funding for a project than you will actually spend by the deadline, or if the circumstances for a project change, it’s best to return the funds by August 15th of the award year; if you do so, that money will return to the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) FDF pool for disbursement in a future cycle. You can’t return funds after that date, however, and any balance in your FOAP will be rebalanced and redistributed across all the academic units by the University after the award expires. We strongly encourage you to estimate your financial needs thoughtfully return any extra funds early if it turns out you will not be using them.

Faculty are accountable for overspending. You can learn to check your account balance by watching this balance query demonstration video. Information on overspending policy is coming soon.

According to the CBA, “Failure to use FDF for the stated purpose shall obligate the Association member to reimburse the FDF in full.” If funds are not needed for the purpose for which they are awarded, the faculty member should notify the FDF Co-chairs that the funds can be returned to the FDF. However, within a particular project and with approval from the CAS Office of Operations, fund usage may be adjusted (e.g., less money spent on hotel and more on airfare) as long as this does not lead to exceeding the original award amount.