Academic Success Coach
Director of Developmental and Exploratory Advising Programs
Areas of Interest
- As chair of CASA's Undeclared / Exploratory Student committee, I love helping students explore major and career options. I helped design our Explore Your Path portal and our Explore Their Path blog to help students considering a change - check it out. I encourage you to sign up to see me in a Jumpstart Your Path webinar for incoming students!
- As part of CASA's Academic Probation committee, I help identify students having academic difficulty and develop resources to support them to get back on track to academic success.
- As a former graduate assistant from the Ohio State Multicultural Center, I am always interested in examining my own areas of privilege and determining how we can make USF and the world a more inclusive place for all.
- I have a young daughter, Samantha, at home. I am currently one of the co-chairs of the USF Parent Group and do my best to support other parents on campus!
- BA, Psychology and Economics, Indiana University - Bloomington (with Liberal Arts and Management Certificate and Spanish Minor)
- MA, Higher Education and Student Affairs, The Ohio State University - Columbus
- NASPA - Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education
- NACADA - National Academic Advising Association
Year Started at USF: 2007
Hometown: Chicago, IL (Northwest Suburbs)
- I have been dancing since I was four years old. I discovered a new practice called Biodanza when I moved to San Francisco and met my husband through it!
- I love to read and used to organize a women’s book club in the city. Some books that I would recommend for new students are Friendships Don't Just Happen by Shasta Nelson and The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal and The Gifts of Imperfection and anything else written by Brene Brown (I love her!).
- I was raised as an only child, but I have five older half brothers and sisters from my dad's previous marriage.
- I have been a Grey's Anatomy fan since it started and also enjoyed watching Parenthood and Chuck and The Good Wife. My latest TV obsessions have been One Tree Hill and Friday Night Lights.
- Blogging is one of my creative outlets outside of work. Visit careerintuition.blogspot.com to check out some of my posts. I hope to add some more posts in the year ahead!
- I sometimes teach a 1 cr. elective course called INTD 053 Exploring Majors and Careers.
- My Myers-Briggs preferences are ENFP, my Holland Codes are SAI, and my top Strengthsquest themes are Strategic, Individualization, Learner, Communication, Achiever, and Woo (Winning Others Over)!
Why Did I Become an Academic Success Coach?
I had some really powerful mentors who encouraged and empowered me to go after my dreams. My passion is to inspire students to go after their dreams, so that they can experience all that life has to offer and make a positive difference in the world!
My Advice for Students
- Life is too short to spend it living solely to meet others' expectations.
- Envision what you would like your legacy to be when you die and live each day of your life working towards that.
- It is never too late to change. Every moment is a new opportunity to pause, take a breath, and start anew!