Getting Started with Zoom
Zoom is USF's web and video conferencing tool. For assistance with your account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download a copy of the software from https://usfca.zoom.us/download Zoom runs on Mac, PC, iOS and Android devices.
After downloading and installing the Zoom application, launch it from either your Mac/PC desktop or laptop. The program icon then appears in your Dock or Taskbar.
Launching a Zoom Session
When you first launch the Zoom application, you have two options: join a meeting or sign in.
Join a Meeting in Progress
- If you just want to join a meeting-in-progress, click on Join a Meeting.
- In order to Join a Meeting, enter the Meeting ID of the session that you will like to join. The person who invited you to this meeting must have shared with you a 10 digit ID.
- If the host hasn't started the meeting at the time you join, your window will inform you to please wait.
- Click on Test Speaker to check your output audio.
- After checking your audio setting you are ready to Join a Meeting.
Start Your Own Meeting
- If you would like to log in and start or schedule your own meeting, click on Sign In.
- Enter your USF or personal Zoom account information.
- Before you start or schedule your own meeting, it is recommended that you check your audio settings.
- Check if your Microphone is working properly and you if have the right microphone selected.
- After checking your audio setting you are ready to start or schedule your own meeting.
- Click on Start without video to start a meeting sharing your desktop (share every-thing in your screen) or application (share an application window). Click on Start with video to start a video meeting. You can also Start your scheduled Meeting by going to the Meetings Tab and Click Start.
Scheduling Your Own Meeting
- Click on Schedule to set up a future meeting and enter your meeting’s details.
- After setting up the your Meeting details, click the Meetings tab and check the box under your Meeting ID.
- Click Copy and then paste the information in an email to share the details of your meeting with others.
- The invitation will appear like the following:
Name is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Zoom Meeting
Time: May 11, 2015 7:00 PM (GMT-7:00) Pacific Time (US and Canada) Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://usfca.zoom.us/j/787387796
Or join by phone:
+1 (415) 762-9988 or +1 (646) 568-7788 (US Toll) Meeting ID: 787 387 796
International numbers available: https://usfca.zoom.us/zoomconference
Zoom Menu Bar
- Mute/unmute your audio (not the audio of the participants)
- Stop/start your video
- Configure your settings for items such as audio and video
- Invite more people to join by email, IM , SMS (mobile users) or meeting ID
- View a list of participants
- Share your desktop or select a specific application to share (e. g., Microsoft Word)
- Send a message to one person (private chat) or to all participants
- Record the meeting (if you have been granted permission)
- Leave or end the video meeting
Recording a Zoom Session
It is recommended that you use Cloud Recording to record video and audio in the Zoom Cloud so that the file can then be downloaded and/or streamed from a browser via HTML 5 or Flash and not use space in your computer.
- Enable Cloud Recording on Your Account: Log in to your Profile page and under the Recording Options, select Enabled Cloud Recording and Save Changes
- Recording a Meeting to the Cloud: Start a meeting, Select the Record button in the Zoom toolbar Select Start Cloud Recording.