Service and Merit Awards
Annual Awards Ceremony
The University recognizes the achievement of faculty and staff by publicly announcing the USF Service Awards, the USF Merit Awards, and other faculty and staff awards (see Other Awards section). The Service and Merit Awards ceremony takes place annually in May.
Nomination Review and Selection Process
An anonymous committee reviews all nominations, checks references, interviews nominators and selects the award recipients. The committee is composed of an appointed representative from each University division. A Human Resources professional serves as the committee ex-officio (i.e. has no vote). All nominations are kept confidential.
USF Service Awards
Each year, individuals are honored for their number of years of service with the University as they reach each 5-year milestone. For example, individuals receive awards at 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, and so on. Individuals to be honored at the annual ceremony in May are notified during the spring semester.
USF Merit Awards
All faculty members, staff members (including Executive Officers), and students can submit nominations for the following USF Merit Awards by clicking on the appropriate links below during the filing period (January and February, annually):
|USF Merit Award||Eligibility*||Description|
|Individual Merit Award||Non-faculty staff member with at least three calendar years of continuous service through January 31, 2019, including past individual USF Merit Award honorees||Service, contributions, and/or achievements are above and beyond the scope, responsibilities, and expectations of the position and that have made a significant positive impact on the department/division, the University, or the community.|
|Team Merit Award||A formal or informal team of three or more staff, faculty, and/or students||Collective efforts made a significant contribution to USF and/or the community, above and beyond the scope of their job.|
|Fr. William J. Dunne Award||Non-faculty staff member with at least three calendar years of continuous service through January 31, 2019, including past individual USF Merit Award honorees||
Demonstrated excellence to USF and the community at large through service, creativity, innovation, and leadership, above and beyond the scope of regular job duties. NOTE: this award may be given to a team at the discretion of the Selection Committee.
|Rising Star Award||Non-faculty staff member with less than three calendar years of continuous service through January 31, 2019||Service, contributions, and/or achievements that are above and beyond the scope, responsibilities, and expectations of his/her position and have made a significant positive impact on his/her department/division or the University.|
*The following individuals are ineligible to receive a USF Merit Award:
- Executive Officers (President, Provost, Vice Provost, Vice President, General Counsel, Executive Directors of University and members of the Leadership Team)
- Other officers (Chancellor, Executive Assistant to the President, Human Resources staff)
- Academic research teams (ineligible for the Team Merit Award)
- Self-nominations (except for a team member who may nominate his/her team for a Team Merit Award)
Other Faculty/Staff Awards
- Office of the Provost (Sarlo Prize for excellence in teaching, Ignatian Service Award, Faculty Service-Learning Award, Mentor of the Year Award, Educational Effectiveness Award, Arthur I. Karshmer Award for Distinguished Service to Disability Issues, and the Beyond the Hilltop Award)
- Office of Diversity Engagement and Community Outreach (Diversity and Inclusion Leadership Award)
Other Faculty Awards
- ITS Educational Technology Services (Innovation in Teaching with Technology Awards)
- Joint USF/USF Faculty Association* (Distinguished Research and Distinguished Teaching Awards)
- Joint USF/USF Adjunct Faculty Association* (Distinguished Adjunct Teaching Awards)
- USF Adjunct Faculty Association* (Innovations in Instruction Award and the Sr. Vicky Siu Award for outstanding contributions and service to USF)
*nomination and application instructions will be sent via email
- 2019 Merit Award Recipients
- Individual Merit Awards
- Team Merit Awards
- Father William J. Dunne Awards
For questions on the Service and Merit Awards, please email email@example.com.