Student Quick Start Guide
ITS Help Desk
Need tech help? Contact the ITS Help Desk for assistance at (415) 422-6668 or by visiting the ITS Service Portal.
- ITS Help Desk locations are located at Lone Mountain North (2nd floor), the Gleeson Library circulation desk, and at McLaren 100. Visit myUSF for complete details on locations and hours of operation.
- What services does the Help Desk provide for Students? - KB10657
myUSF is the University's enterprise portal and central authentication system that provides access to a multitude of resources, including Canvas, email, University announcements, course registration, and many more services.
- How Do I: Change or Reset My Password? - KB10565
- Learn more about USF's Identity & Access Manager (IAM) for student and alumni users - KB12054
- Access your applications by visiting the USF Launchpad.
Students and alumni access email through DonsApps Mail, our branding of Gmail. This includes all of the feature of Gmail including unlimited shared storage between email messages and Google Drive files.
- How Do I: Access DonsApps? - KB10578
- How Do I: Access DonsApps Mail using an iOS device? - KB10479
- How Do I: Access DonsApps Mail using an Android device? - KB12673
The USF standard for personal and departmental calendars is DonsApps Calendar, our branding of Google Calendar.
- How Do I: View my DonsApps Calendar? - KB10735
- How Do I: Share a calendar on DonsApps Calendar? - KB10651
- How Do I: Invite guests to an event on DonsApps Calendar? - KB10734
All USF students, faculty, and staff may create, store, and share files using DonsApps Drive, USF's branding of Google Drive. Drive has document, spreadsheet, presentation, and drawing modules.
- How Do I: Use DonsApps Drive? - KB10608
Members of the USF community access the Internet by connecting to the USF-Wireless network. Use your standard myUSF credentials to authenticate access.
- How Do I: Connect to the USF Wireless network? - KB10916
- How Do I: Connect my device to the ResHall network if it doesn't have a browser? - KB10923
- How Do I: Authenticate network access for a visitor? - KB10924
- Are personal wireless routers allowed in Residence Halls? - KB10197
ITS does not provide Ethernet cords. However, Student Housing and Residential Education provides them on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact SHaRE or your Residence Hall front desk for more information.
- Which Ethernet port should I use in my ResHall room? - KB10442
- How Do I: Connect an Internet Hub in Toler Residence Hall? - KB10441
Canvas is USF’s learning management system. Please refer to the knowledge base article below to help you get started and give you the basics to configure your Canvas environment and participate in your Canvas courses.
- Canvas for Students - KB10965
USF students can update personal information, register for classes, view grades, and more online via USF Connect. To access this service, click on the Student tab in USF Connect, then click under the Student Self Service heading.
- How Do I: Find my registration appointment time? - KB10345
- How Do I: Register for classes? - KB10348
- How Do I: View or print my class schedule? - KB10636
- How Do I: View my grades online? - KB10300
- What browsers are compatible with Self-Service Banner? - KB11755
Save hundreds or even thousands of dollars on personal electronics, software, services, and more using the ITS eStore. Software such as Microsoft Office 365, Windows 7, Windows 8, VMWare Fusion, and Sophos Anti-Virus can be downloaded for free.
- How Do I: Access the ITS eStore Personal Software Purchase or DreamSpark programs? - KB10261
- How Do I: Configure a Macintosh with VMware, Windows 7 and Microsoft Office for Windows? - KB10812
USF provides cable TV services primarily to the University residence halls and select public areas. All on-campus residence halls except for Loyola Village receive cable TV services from Direct TV through ITS. The Loyola Village and Pedro Arrupe residence halls receive TV services from Comcast.
- How Do I: Access cable TV at USF? - KB10447
- How Do I: Request service for cable TV problems in a Residence Hall? - KB10260
- University Cable Channel Listing - KB10961
ITS supports general-purpose computer labs in multiple locations on the San Francisco campus, as well as small labs at each of the regional campuses.
- How Do I: Find an ITS computer lab? - KB10971
The Pharos client software allows you to print from your computer to any Pharos enabled self-service printer at the university or distributed campuses. More information and downloads for the Pharos printer driver are available on the USF Pharos webpage.
- Visit myUSF for a list of where multifunction printers (MFPs) are located on campus.
- For assistance with downloading Pharos drivers, contact or visit the ITS Help Desk.
Assistive technologies help make computing resources accessible to persons with disabilities.
Mobile Charging Stations
Our mobile devices are so vital to our daily activities that a low battery can really slow us down. To address this draining issue, ITS in collaboration with ASUSF, piloted phone and tablet charging stations on campus.
Traditional land-line phones in ResHall rooms are not generally provided. However, there are other options within the residence hall.
File Sharing of Copyrighted Material
If you are using Peer to Peer or File Sharing, you could be violating the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). The University also has an obligation under the Higher Education Opportunity Act 2008 to prevent illegal distribution of copyrighted content as described on the Fogcutter main page. Please review this page and the Technology Resources Appropriate Use Policy for information about your responsibilities and restrictions on the use of network resources at USF.
- What is USF's policy on use of copyrighted material? - KB10217
- Common File Sharing Myths - KB10221
Personal Device Security
We're constantly bombarded with viruses, spam, phishing attempts, and other computer attacks. To protect your personal information and your computer, you need to be aware and follow basic measures to protect yourself. Please review the following selections from our knowledge base and download a free copy of Sophos Anti-Virus if you don't have up-to-date antivirus protection running on your computer.
- How do I avoid ID Theft? - KB10909
- What is spyware and adware? - KB10211
- What are phishing scams and how can I avoid them? - KB10108
- What are some password protection tips? - KB10111
- How Do I Keep My Personal Computer/Laptop Up To Date? - KB10184
USF Mobile offers essential USF information and services anytime, anywhere on your smartphone or PDA. It includes up-to-date information on events, campus locations, class schedules, and transportation options.
USF Events Calendar
USFcalendar provides information on events for the USF community, and is maintained by Web Services.