America Reads Tutor Hiring Requirements
To fulfill federal, city, and university requirements for America Reads, please use the following list and instructions (NOTE: all America Reads tutors must complete the following steps before becoming eligible to work):
- Verify you have been awarded federal work study (a minimum of $3,000 for the semester / $6,000 for the year is preferred).
- Click here to apply and email email@example.com with any questions!
- Attend an individual interview session.
AFTER BEING OFFERED THE POSITION:
If you've been offered the job please set up a LiveScan appointment online by filling out this form or picking one up in the McCarthy Center and going to the United States Postal Service on Geary to do your LiveScan. Please make sure to mention that you are a literacy volunteer with the America Reads program at USF.
When going to get your LiveScan please bring the following items:
A valid, government-issued photo ID
Make sure to receive your results and return the results to The McCarthy Center located in the Masonic Building. The test costs $20.00 and to be reimbursed by USF we can only accept money orders or cashier's check. Please save your receipts for money order or cashiers check, as you will not be able to be reimbursed without it.
Submit TB Test Results. If you have results of a current TB test (completed within the last 3 years), please email it to the America Reads graduate assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org or drop it off to them in the McCarthy Center. If you need a TB test, please do the following:
1. Make an appointment at the free clinic called Haight Ashbury Free Clinic (415) 746-1950 located at 558 Clayton St, San Francisco, CA 94117
2. Call the USF Student Health Clinic at (415) 750-4980 to make an appointment. Once they give you the test, you must return to the Clinic in three days to have the test read. Note: do not make an appointment on a Wednesday or a Thursday, as your test will not be able to be read on the weekend.
Please drop off your TB results to the America Reads Graduate Assistant in the McCarthy Center.
First- and second-semester tutors must attend a weekly America Reads course (thus, students must be registered for no more than 17 credits prior to registering for the America Reads course). First-semester tutors need to enroll in IA (Fall 2018: Tuesdays from 5:30-6:20pm). All tutors attend bi-weekly staff meetings on Tuesdays from 11:45am-12:45pm.
Please contact America Reads staff via email at email@example.com with questions.