Step 6: Prepare for Class Registration
In order to be cleared for class registration, complete the following:
- Watch the the class registration tutorials (30–45 minutes)The class registration tutorial videos will guide you through the registration process and show you which classes are for your major. To get started, go to myusf.usfca.edu/newstudentregistration and select your major from the Undergraduate Programs menu. Watch each video to learn about graduation and major requirements, our Core Curriculum, placement tests, and more. If you're thinking of changing your major, email your admission counselor.
- Take the Directed Self Placement (DSP) (1–2 hours)
As part of the class registration tutorials, you'll be directed to take the Directed Self Placement (DSP). This self assessment will help you determine which Rhetoric (RHET) class to sign up for. Information on how to access the DSP can be found on the Placement Tests page. For any questions about the DSP, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You do not need to take the DSP if:
- You will be completing Academic English for Multilingual Students (AEM) courses at USF
- You are a Sacramento VANAP nursing student
- You are in the Martín-Baró Scholars program
Transfer students: All transfer students must fulfill the Core A2 Rhetoric & Composition requirement at USF. Even if you've already received credit for an English Composition course, we encourage you to take DSP to learn about the wide range of Rhetoric courses available. There are multiple options to choose from based on your personal interests.
Take any required placement tests
See which placement tests are required for your major. You'll need to take any required placement tests before registration so you know which level courses to register for. Language placement tests take two weeks to get results, so please plan ahead! Once you've taken the tests, here's how to view your scores.
- Complete the class registration quiz (5 minutes)
After watching the registration tutorials, you must complete a quiz to be cleared for class registration. If you do not complete the quiz, you will be unable to sign up for classes because you will have a hold on your student account that prevents you from registering. This hold is removed after you complete the class registration quiz.
Dates & Deadlines
October 17: Directed Self Placement (DSP) and placement tests open
October 17: Class registration tutorial videos and quiz open for students registering on November 17.
November 17, 10 a.m. PT: Students who either deferred their enrollment to spring 2024, or who applied to a previous term but were admitted to spring 2024, can start registering this day.
December 1: Updated class registration tutorial videos and quiz open for students registering on January 9.
January 9, 10 a.m. PT: Registration opens
January 22: First day of classes
January 26: Last day to add classes for the semester. Any final changes to your schedule must be made by this deadline.
The university will be closed from December 22, 2023 – January 1, 2024 for the winter holiday.