Join Emergency Medical Response Services
Gain leadership experience and lifesaving skills from a community of USF students who share a passion for maintaining a safe campus.
Why Join EMRS?
- Gain experience and develop critical thinking skills as an EMT
- Develop leadership skills, communication ability and a problem solving mindset that make you more competitive on the job market
- Learn how to run a small business while working as part of a team
- Meet other USF students who share your interest in healthcare and emergency medical services
Applications for squad membership are taken on a rolling basis. Orientations are held in early September and mid-January.
Application and Training Requirements
USF's Emergency Medical Response Service is considered to be a division within the department of Student Life, not a club or campus organization. EMTs therefore are considered student staff of the university, and are held to certain standards. Students are required to:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA average of 2.5 throughout their membership
- Have completed an EMT-Basic course, received California EMT certification and become accredited by the San Francisco City and County
- Follow a code of appropriate professional conduct, both on and off duty
- Follow all EMRS and USF policies, guidelines, protocols, and applicable privacy and other laws
EMT Basic Training Program
USF offers a 4-unit credit course through the College of School of Nursing & Health Professions (Health Services 205) every semester.
This EMT-B course is held at the University of San Francisco Hilltop Campus.