Streaming media is a technology for delivering multimedia over the Internet. The media can consist of video, audio, and/or animation or screen capture and is delivered, or streamed, to the end-user's computer.
ITS administers an Ensemble Video streaming service to provide streaming media to the USF community. Media files hosted on Ensemble are viewable on mobile devices as well as in Flash-enabled web browsers on desktop computers. Media can also be confined to Canvas courses, or posted to links that can be shared to a defined group of viewers.
Appropriate uses for streaming media might include: student speeches, interviews, presentations, lectures, demonstrations, edited videos and virtually any event or recorded media for which you possess the copyright, appropriate permissions or use according to fair-use guidelines.
Requests to stream video can be initiated with an ITS Support ticket assigned to Media Services, or by contacting the ITS Help Desk. Questions on streaming media at USF can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting Started with Streaming Media
- Produce and post media online
Put in a request to record your class lecture, or record your own video, then deliver the file to Media Services (x2003) to upload it to the streaming server to share.
- Attend Training Workshops
ETS provides training in video and audio editing and production. View the Training Calendar and attend either an iMovie (Mac) or Audacity (PC and Mac) training to help you get started developing and streaming your multimedia content.
- Permission to record
Please obtain written permission to record subjects using the Permission to use Voice, Likeness form.
- iTunes, media playing software used for the playback of iTunes University content. iTunes will need to be installed on the end-user's computer to playback and subscribe to USF's podcasts. A free download.
- Streaming Media at the University of Wisconsin, a helpful website for understanding streaming media and applications for implementing it in teaching and learning.
- iTunes University, a podcasting service developed and provided by Apple. USF currently uses iTunes University to deliver podcasts.