Bias Education and Resource Team (BERT)
The University of San Francisco Bias Education and Resource Team (BERT) is a University-wide team that works to gather information about bias incidents and to support those individuals who have witnessed, or themselves become a target of, an act of bias.
Any student, faculty, or staff member who observes or is a victim of an act of bias can report the incident using the red button above.
- ADVOCATE: To provide affected individuals and communities a space to have their voices heard
- EDUCATE: To prevent similar occurrences in the future
- ACTION: To ensure a comprehensive and timely response to bias incidents
- COMMUNITY: To create an opportunity to keep USF community members accountable for the overall USF student or employee experience
What does BERT do?
- SUPPORT: We assist students, staff, and faculty who report bias incidents
- ASSESS: We keep annual statistical records of bias incidents on campus
- ADVOCATE: We promote conversation about diversity issues
- ACTION: We conduct investigations involving bias complaints about students, faculty, and staff.
- We are not a conduct or disciplinary body. However, if after an investigation it is determined there has been a potential violation of the code of conduct, cases will either be referred to the Office of Student Conduct, Rights, and Responsibilities (cases involving students) or Human Resources (cases involving faculty and/or staff) for adjudication.
- We are not a crisis response team. If this matter needs an immediate response, please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at 415-422-5330 (Monday- Friday 8:30AM to 5:00PM) or Department of Public Safety at 415-422-4201 (After 5:00PM, weekends, and holidays)
What Happens When a Report is Submitted?
When an impacted party and/or a witness submits a report through the Maxient system, here is the general practice for the report (which is reviewed by the Office of the Dean of Students):
- If the BERT report involves ONLY faculty and/or staff, the report is forwarded to Human Resources
- If the report involves a faculty and/or staff member as the alleged individual, the report is forwarded to Human Resources
- All incident reports involving students as the impacted, witness, or alleged party will be processed through the Office of the Dean of Students
- If the impacted party and/or witness requests a Process Advocate, the Office of the Dean of Students will assign one to the individual(s)