Counseling and Psychological Services
In addition to the disproportionate negative impact from COVID-19, the recent murders of George Floyd, Ahmaud Aubrey, and Breonna Taylor and the false accusation by Amy Cooper against Christian Cooper (no relation) continue to add to the daily racial traumas experienced by African Americans in this country. Trauma experienced, whether directly or vicariously, has negative effects on one’s psychological well-being. If you are experiencing symptoms such as increased heart rate, sadness, anger, etc., you can call CAPS at (415) 422-6352 during business hours for more information about how we can help. You can also call our All Hours Line 24/7 at (855) 531-0761 to talk to a professional counselor to get emotional support or to get help during a mental health crisis. If you are a person of color who would like to get emotional support from a trained peer counselor of color, you can access The Crisis Text Line, a national text support service, which has partnered with The Steve Fund, a nonprofit dedicated to the mental health of students of color, by texting STEVE to 741741 any time. More resources around discrimination and racism can be found under Links & Resources.
CAPS remains committed to supporting our students. Although our physical office is closed for now, CAPS therapists continue to be available Mondays to Fridays for short-term counseling via videoconference or phone for USF students. Please call (415) 422-6352 during business hours to schedule. See below for information about current services.
- Current CAPS Services (Including Crisis Information)
- Other Ways to Get Support During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Introduction to CAPS Services
- Limitations to CAPS Services
Current CAPS Services
- Brief and Single Session Therapy: CAPS is offering brief individual therapy through video conferencing and phone to help address your personal and mental health concerns. We also offer virtual single session therapy if you want a one-time meeting to talk about a specific issue in a focused way. Please call (415) 422-6352 during business hours to schedule. Note that CAPS may have limitations on being able to provide ongoing therapy to students located outside of California, but we are happy to discuss your needs and situation with you. Read more about potential limitations on services outside of California.
- Crisis Services: If you are a USF student in crisis or in need of other immediate mental health support, call the CAPS All Hours line at (855) 531-0761 any time, or contact any of these linked additional crisis resources and hotlines. Read more about CAPS crisis services on our Crisis page. For current emergencies, call 911 or (if on campus) USF Public Safety at (414) 422-2911.
- Mental Health Referrals: If you need services that CAPS cannot provide, including off-campus services in the Bay Area or elsewhere, we are happy to help. Call (415) 422-6352 during business hours to schedule a consultation with one of our therapists.
Other Options for Support
Therapy and Other Professional Support
Contact your health insurance provider to find Behavioral Health (psychological) services. Students with USF-sponsored Aetna insurance can make an appointment with a therapist or psychiatrist who takes Aetna (there is a copay per visit) or receive teletherapy support for non-crisis mental health concerns for free through Inpathy.
Visit the CAPS Off-Campus Referrals page for additional mental health resources.
Substance USE Support
The Haven is a nationwide community for college students with substance use issues and/or in recovery. USF has a Haven residence on campus and is currently offering online support, teletherapy, and fellowship!
- Free peer support meetings are open to any college student in recovery in the world 7 days a week, 5 pm to 6 pm PST (8 pm to 9 pm EST). Join HavenRecoveryMeeting by logging in from your computer, tablet, or smartphone at https://www.gotomeet.me/. You can also dial in using your phone at (872) 240-3412, access code: 661-666-741. We are here for you and can't wait to connect with you!
- Ongoing Haven USF recovery meetings are being held virtually at the same days/times (Mondays and Saturdays, 8 pm) as the former in-person meetings. Call Joi for more info at (508) 364-0593. Zoom link; https://global.gotomeeting.
- Therapy through The Haven's Virtual Outpatient Center is available to ALL students in California, Massachusetts, Maryland, and Ohio in need of support around substance use and mental health concerns. Therapy is provided through a secure online platform and can be paid for through health insurance, private pay, and scholarship. Call (888) 224-2836 for more information and/or to set up a consultation with a Haven intake counselor.
Additional USF resources
- Additional resources for USF students during the COVID-19 pandemic include help with food, housing, and technical challenges.
- CAPS has created three web pages with coping tips and resources related to COVID-19: One for students, one for staff and faculty, and one for parents and family.
Introduction to CAPS Services
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) seeks to assist USF students in developing greater self-understanding and help resolve problems that interfere with their optimal personal functioning. Lots of students come to CAPS with a wide range of concerns. CAPS provides brief, time-limited therapy to enrolled students.
You asked, and we listened! To reduce wait times and meet students' needs, CAPS added a new service starting in fall 2019, single-session therapy (SST). SST is offered by appointment (usually within a week) for students who would like to talk to a counselor on a one-time basis to address a specific concern and formulate an action plan. Students can receive up to two SST meetings per semester. SST appointments, as well as other services, are currently being offered remotely, through video conference or phone.
Although CAPS staff strive to see students as expediently as possible, there are times during the semester when the center is heavily impacted and there may be a wait to get an appointment.
To make an appointment at CAPS, please call our office at (415) 422-6352 between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Appointments are being offered remotely, through video conference or phone, are 45 minutes long, and typically start 15 minutes after the hour. For initial appointments, we ask that students complete some paperwork.
Late Cancellation and Missed Appointment Policy
Because CAPS has a limited number of appointments available, we encourage you to keep your scheduled appointments. If you can't keep an appointment, please cancel or reschedule by calling CAPS prior to the time you were to have your appointment (preferably 24 hours in advance). You can leave a voicemail if you call when our office is closed. If you do not show up for an appointment without cancelling in advance, a $30 fee will be charged to your student account.
Limitations to CAPS Services
CAPS is here to serve USF students. There are limits to the type and length of services we can provide. Please read about our Scope of Services and Limitations to learn more. If CAPS is unable to offer a service that you need, we are happy to consult with you by phone or video conference to help you connect with services elsewhere.