As a condition of enrollment, University of San Francisco (USF) requires students to have health insurance, both to protect against unexpected high medical costs and to provide access to quality care. The following students will be charged the health insurance premium on their Student Account as a separate fee.
- All undergraduate domestic students registering for 9 credit hours or more (EXCEPT Certificate programs and Online programs students)
- All graduate domestic students registering for 6 credit hours or more (EXCEPT Certificate programs and Online programs students)
- All international students and scholars registering for at least 1 credit hour or more
Open Enrollment/Waiver Period for Fall and Spring Semester
- Fall semester: June 6 through September 1
- Spring semester: December 1 through February 1
The Fall 2019 Enrollment/Waiver Period is CLOSED.
Students who already have health insurance coverage comparable (equal or better) to the USF-endorsed plan under a United States-domiciled health insurance company may waive this requirement during waiver/enrollment period each academic year.
If you want to waive the insurance during our open waiver period for the Fall and Spring semester, the following criteria must be met for domestic or international students:
Register and download your ID card prior to the beginning of the semester.
The Fall Plan is effective August 1 until December 31, and the Spring Plan is effective January 1 to July 31 so register to get the most out of the Health Plan.
- Aetna Policy number: 474887
- Customer Service (877) 480-4161
- USF insurance network is called OA Elect Choice EPO
- View Health Insurance Requirement Policy
Students registered for at least 3 units are eligible to voluntarily purchase the USF student health plan for only Fall and/or Spring semesters during open waiver/enrollment periods.
In addition, students with an official Leave of Absence (LOA) or are in the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program are eligible to purchase the USF student health plan per semester for up to one (1) academic year.
Voluntary enrollment is CLOSED for the Fall 2019 semester.
Transfer Coverage (Medi-Cal, Kaiser)
If you have waived the USF Student Health Plan with Medi-Cal or Kaiser, please ensure that you transfer your healthcare coverage near your campus location.