As a condition of enrollment, the University of San Francisco requires students to have a health insurance plan, both to protect against unexpected high medical costs and to provide access to quality care.
Undergraduate and graduate students are required to have health insurance and will be automatically enrolled and billed for the USF-sponsored student health insurance plan.
|All undergraduate domestic students||Nine (9) units or more||Automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance|
|All graduate domestic students*||Six (6) units or more||Automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance|
|All international students||One (1) unit or more||Automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance|
|All students who reside in University-operated housing||Not Applicable||Automatically enrolled and charged for health insurance|
* Excluding students in non-credit bearing certificate programs, and online programs.
Students who already have health insurance coverage comparable (equal or better) to the USF-sponsored plan under a United States-domiciled health insurance company may waive this requirement during waiver/enrollment period each academic year.
Open Enrollment/Waiver Periods
- Fall semester: June 6 through September 1
- Spring semester: December 1 through February 1
The Spring 2019 Enrollment/Waiver Period is Now Open:
- Domestic students may waive this requirement online at Health Insurance Domestic Student Waiver.
- International students must waive the University-sponsored student health insurance plan with Health Promotion Staff at Health Insurance International Student Waiver.
If you want to waive the insurance during our open waiver period for the Fall and Spring semester, the following criteria must be met for domestic or international students:
Register and download your ID card prior to the beginning of the semester.
The Fall Plan is effective August 1 until December 31, and the Spring Plan is effective January 1 to July 31 so register to get the most out of the Health Plan.
- Aetna Policy number: 474887
- Customer Service (877) 480-4161
- USF insurance network is called OA Elect Choice EPO
- View Health Insurance Requirement Policy
Students registered for at least 3 units are eligible to voluntarily purchase the USF student health plan for only Fall and/or Spring semesters during open waiver/enrollment periods.
In addition, students with an official Leave of Absence (LOA) or are in the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program are eligible to purchase the USF student health plan per semester for up to one (1) academic year.
To determine eligibility, please submit a request to voluntarily purchase the USF student health plan.
Transfer Coverage (Medi-Cal, Kaiser)
If you have waived the USF Student Health Plan with Medi-Cal or Kaiser, please ensure that you transfer your healthcare coverage near your campus location.