Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
Alcohol & Other Drugs
According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, about four out of five college students across the United States drink alcohol. About half of those students consume alcohol through binge drinking. University of San Francisco students are not immune to these facts.
In April, we plan an annual event to promote responsible drinking behaviors with health education and resources.
Students who violate the alcohol and other drugs policy will be required to attend a Brief Motivational Intervention (BMI), a confidential, non-judgmental conversation with Certified Peer Health Educator.
Recovery support is also available for students who need assistance with alcohol and drug addiction. Check out these resources:
For USF Students Struggling With Substance Use and Mental Health Issues
The Haven at College is the leading provider of mental health and substance use treatment and recovery support services that meets college students where they are. While USF's Haven residence is not currently operating, USF students are able to take advantage of the following programs:
- Virtual Haven Outpatient Center: A safe and relatable place for college students to meet, grow and recover from substance use, mental health and co-occurring disorders, free of judgment and stigma. Our innovative, evidence-based treatment program allows students to maintain an active academic and social life, while addressing possible substance misuse and co-occurring disorders. Virtual tele-health options are available for students located outside of the Los Angeles area. We are open year round, including Summer programming.
- Virtual Haven Mentoring and Monitoring Program: An innovative, customizable harm reduction program that allows students to take a hard and informed look at their substance use patterns. Key components include Peer Mentoring & Support, Weekly Individual Counseling, Drug Testing, Group Support and Parent Communication.
- Virtual Haven Recovery Meeting: Attend every Sundays at 6 pm via zoom.
Learn more about their programs by calling their Admissions Line at (310) 822-1234, or email them at email@example.com and check out their website at thehavenatcollege.com.
Join the University of San Francisco's St. Ignatius Church for meetings at:
St. Ignatius Church
650 Parker Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94118
- A Vision For You on Sunday at 6:30pm
- The Forum (Men Only) on Tuesday at 7:30pm
- Solution Group on Thursday at 7pm
- Twelve Steps to Happiness on Friday at 7:30pm
- Dark Secrets on Friday at 10pm
Join a Raising the Bottom meeting on Wednesday nights at 8pm at:
First AME Church
2159 Golden Gate Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94118
Smoke and Tobacco Free
The University of San Francisco is a smoke and tobacco free campus since August 1, 2017.
On May 4, 2016, Governor Brown signed several tobacco bills into California Law, including raising the legal smoking age from 18 to 21 (excluding active military personnel), and classifying e-cigarettes as tobacco products effective June 9, 2016. Therefore, California and San Francisco laws must also be followed, so there is no smoking permitted in San Francisco within 15 feet of entrances, exits, operable windows and vents. In California, no smoking is permitted within 20 feet of entrances, exits, operable windows and vents.
View USF Smoke & Tobacco Free Policy
- Tobacco-Free Generation Campus Initiative (Fall 2017 to Spring 2019)
- California Youth Advocacy Network (CYAN) Grant (Fall 2018 to Spring 2019)