Health Insurance Policy
As a condition of enrollment, the University of San Francisco requires students to have a health insurance plan, both to protect against unexpected high medical costs and to provide access to quality care.
The following students will be charged the health insurance premium on their Student Account as a separate fee.
- All undergraduate domestic students registering for 9 credit hours or more.
- All graduate domestic students registering for 6 credit hours or more (EXCEPT students in non-credit bearing certificate programs, and online programs).
- All international students and scholars registering for at least 1 credit hour or more (including non-degree students).
- All students who reside in University-operated housing.
Please note: The health insurance charge is tied to your registration. Students will only be charged for the health insurance fee when they register for the above-specified number of credits each semester up to the census date.
Students will not be charged the health insurance fee or enrolled in the health insurance plan if they have registered for the above-specified number of credits after the census date. Please check your bill. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact Health Promotion Services at (415) 422-5797 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fall semester: June 6 through September 1
- Spring semester: December 1 through February 1
Students who have coverage comparable to the University-endorsed Student Health Plan may be eligible to waive this requirement each academic year. Waiver requests MUST be submitted during the open waiver/enrollment periods. Waiver requests made after the open waiver/enrollment period ends will not be approved, and the charge for the insurance will remain on the Student Account. Check out the waiver criteria.
- Domestic students must waive this requirement online directly with the Health Insurance Company.
- International students must waive this requirement with the Health Promotion Services online form to ensure that their health insurance policy meets the minimum requirement established by the University of San Francisco, and the United States federal government regulations.
- Students are expected to maintain comparable health insurance coverage at all times. If a student’s health insurance coverage is dropped, it is the student’s responsibility to contact the Health Promotion Services to discuss her/his options within 72 hours.
Each Academic year, student covered by comparable health insurance must opt out during the waiver/enrollment period. Waiver requests never extend beyond the Academic year.
- Students who waive the health insurance requirement during the fall semester will automatically waive coverage for the entire Academic year, and do not need to waive the requirement again during the spring semester. However, these students may request to enroll in the Spring by visiting Health Promotion Services during the spring semester open waiver/enrollment period.
- Students who waive health insurance requirement for the spring semester must waive again the following fall semester.
- Students are charged per semester for the insurance premium. The premium is not covered by your tuition. It will show up as a separate fee on your student account.
- The insurance premium cannot be pro-rated for fall and spring semesters.
If the student waiver is approved, the student’s account will be credited within 10 business days accordingly. However, if a student uses the health insurance, then waives it later or takes a leave, or withdraws from school, the student is responsible for the health insurance premium and/or all her/his medical bills for that particular semester. A continuing student will be recharged the health insurance premium if s/he has outstanding and paid claims with the insurance company.
If the waiver is denied, students must contact Health Promotion Services within 72 hours of the waiver denial to discuss their options. Please call 415-422-5797 or email@example.com.
Student coverage will become effective at 12:00 AM on the coverage start date and will terminate at 11:59 PM on the coverage date indicated below:
- Fall Semester: August 1 to December 31
- Spring Semester: January 1 to July 31
Please note: Continuing students will not have any lapse of coverage if they register for classes during their registration
Students registered for at least 3 units are eligible to voluntarily purchase the USF student health plan per semester (fall or spring semesters) during open waiver/enrollment periods. Request for voluntary enrollment made after the end of the open waiver/enrollment period will be declined.
In addition, students with an official Leave of Absence (LOA) or are in the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program are eligible to purchase the USF student health plan per semester for up to one (1) academic year.
To determine eligibility, students submit a request to voluntarily purchase the USF student health plan.
Students who lose coverage through another group health plan (such as that through an employer or a parent’s employer), may be eligible to enroll in the Student Health Plan outside of the open waiver/enrollment period. Any student who loses coverage outside of the open waiver/enrollment period must contact Health Promotion Services within 72 hours of the loss of coverage to discuss enrollment options. Examples of qualifying life events:
- Termination of employment
- Termination of the other health plan
- Death of the spouse
- Legal separation, divorce or annulment
- Reduction of hours of employment
- Employer contributions toward a health plan were terminated
- A child no longer qualifies for coverage as a child under another health plan
New students who commence their enrollment during summer sessions are NOT automatically enrolled in, and NOT billed for, the University-endorsed student health insurance plan. These students must purchase their own health insurance to protect themselves against unexpected high medical costs and to have access to quality care.
USF’s Student Health Plan Year begins August 1, and runs through July 31 of the following year. A USF program director (or designee) must contact or notify HPS with the names of the early arrival students to verify their student status. HPS will work with these students to voluntarily enroll them in USF endorsed health plan if and only they will be continuing students in the fall semester. These students will be enrolled in the expiring plan through July 31.
Any request for voluntarily enrolling as an early arrival must be submitted to HPS 10 business days before the effective day of coverage.
The student will be charged a daily rate on their student account through July 31st. Once enrolled, this coverage cannot be waived.
Reduction of Credit Hours
Students who drop credit hours below the credit hours listed above (9 hours for domestic undergraduate students, or 6 hours for domestic graduate students) during USF’s school enrollment period, will no longer be required to purchase or waive the student health coverage, and coverage will be removed. This is true for both Fall and Spring semesters. Students who reduce credit hours and are no longer required to purchase or waive the student health coverage may be eligible to enroll under the Voluntary Enrollment process as described above.
All students who withdraw from school are NOT eligible to purchase the University-endorsed health insurance plan. Students who withdraw before census day and get a full refund, they will not be covered by the student health plan. Students who withdraw after census day, and get a partial tuition refund, will not receive a Health Premium refund, and will be covered by the student health plan for the rest of that particular semester.
Spouses, domestic partners, or dependent children are not eligible to enroll in the student health plan.