Building Peace From the Ground Up in Colombia
- Where: Cali, Colombia
- When: May 17th- June 1st
- Topic: Peace Process and Conflict Resolution in Cali, Colombia.
- Spanish is a Requisite for this Immersion.
- Instructors: Brian Dowd-Uribe and Lucia Cantero
- How Much: $1450 (flights not included)
- Host: Javeriana Cali.
- Info Sessions:
- Wednesday 2/5/20, 9:30-10:30 am, University Ministry.
- Thursday 2/6/20, 11:45 am-12:45 pm, Kalmanovitz 267
- Download the flyer here.
Learn peace-building techniques via collaborative problem solving with peace practitioners.
A historic peace accord between the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia FARC-EP and the Colombian government was reached in November 2016, which was expected to end one of the oldest conflicts in the world. However, "the stable and lasting peace" promised by this pact is not yet fulfilled and a wave of violence and death has updated the terror in the country. This skills course is designed to analyze the history of this conflict, to interrogate hypotheses for its future, and importantly, workshop methods to build community-level peace processes that can be applied in other contexts. It employs a participatory, collaborative and experiential methodology where students learn by doing. The course is run and designed by the Instituto de Estudios Interculturales in Cali, Colombia – one of the important actors in promoting the peace process, and engaging communities to implement the peace process.