Faculty Development Fund
The Faculty Development Fund (FDF) provides financial support for a multitude of research expenses such as conference travel and research assistant wages. These grants are primarily intended for faculty looking to fund preliminary projects that will lead to applying for funding from outside sources. There are two funding cycles in the College of Arts and Sciences (one in the fall and a one in the spring).
Faculty are responsible for tracking expenditures and their FDF account (FOAP) balances, avoiding overdrawing their account, and returning any unused funds to the collective CAS FDF fund in a timely manner.
How to apply
For Fall 2019, the FDF application deadline will be Friday, September 6th at 11:59 p.m. This earlier deadline is needed during this cycle because new accounts will need to be created for these awards, which will delay the availability of funds by 3-4 weeks.
We offer an FDF Workshop each semester, in which we go over the structure and funding of the FDF, walk through the basics of the application process and guidelines, and answer any FDF-related questions you might have. Our next workshop will be on Wednesday, August 21st from 11:45 a.m. — 12:45 p.m. in Malloy 230. You can RSVP here.
The FDF application site is now open.
How to check your account balance and track your spending
Please watch this video demonstrating the Balance Query process.
Please see the Tracking Tools in the Post-Award section for FDF award tracking sheets and Research Assistant tracking sheets.
- Travel Applications
- Research and Equipment Applications
- Funding Cycles
- Post-Award and Tracking Tools
- Questions and Feedback
Faculty Development Fund Committee members
- Joshua Gamson, Academic Assistant Dean, Administrative Co-Chair
- Hwaji Shin, Faculty Co-Chair, Social Sciences (through Fall 2020)
- Pamela Balls-Organista, Associate Dean for Social Sciences
- Stephanie Cooper, Faculty Representative, Kinesiology (through Spring 2022)
- Christina Tzagarakis-Foster, Associate Dean for Sciences
- Jeffrey Paris, Academic Assistant Dean
- Karen Fraser, Faculty Representative, Arts (through Spring 2021)
- Sevan Suni, Faculty Representative, Laboratory Sciences (through Fall 2021)
- Tsering Wangchuk, Faculty Representative, Theology and Religious Studies (through Spring 2022)