Independent Contractor Checklist and Resources
Any department planning to contract with an individual to provide the University with professional, technical, administrative, or unique services that cannot be performed by existing employees within the department must obtain approval prior to the individual providing services.
The I.C. Approval Request Form must be completed for submission to the Office of Internal Audit and Tax Compliance for review and approval before any services are performed by the individual.
For more information, please see the Independent Contractor Policy
Please note, non-employee individuals providing the following categories of services are deemed to be independent contractors; hence, prior approval to hire these workers is NOT required unless the service provider being hired has previously been an employee of the University within the same calendar year the contemplated services are being performed:
- Close Captioning
- Freelance Writing
- Copy Editing
- Proof Reading
- Graphic Design
- Film Editing
- Sports officiating
- Nursing Teaching Models
- Nursing/EMT Skills Testers
If you would like to hire a speaker or an entertainer/performer, such individuals do not require I.C. approval, provided the individual signs the following standard University agreement:
Before Starting form:
- Ability to complete Checklist
- Have proposal letter ready for submission
If approved as I.C, the form will come back to you and require you attach:
- Signed Independent Contractor Agreement
- Proof of Insurance- Please see the Certificate of Liability Insurance (Certificate of Insurance) as a template for what is required to be provided by the vendor. For more questions regarding our contractor policies and insurance, please see the Contractor/Vendor guide.