September is National Suicide Prevention Month. Everyone has an important role to play when it comes to preventing suicide, not only during September, but all year long. Here are steps you can take to help save lives:
- Check in with a friend by phone or text to see how they're doing.
- Invite a friend to meet for a physically-distanced coffee or meal.
- Send a handwritten card to let someone know you are thinking of them.
- Learn the risk factors and warning signs of suicide.
- Help connect someone who is struggling to professional care. USF students can call CAPS at (415) 422-6352 for support by phone or video. USF staff and faculty can call CONCERN EAP at (800) 344-4222.
- Share the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at (800) 273-8255 and Crisis Text Line (text HOME to 741741) which both provide 24/7, free, confidential support.
- Get certified in the QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) suicide prevention method by attending a 1.5 hour training offered by USF.
Tuesday, Sep 15