MPA Assurance of Learning
MPA Program Goals and Learning Outcomes
Working Draft 11/2/2017
GOAL 1: Educate students to be compassionate and effective leaders who humanely manage public organizations.
- LO 1a: Identify and describe differences between the vision, values, and goals of actors in the public, nonprofit, and private sectors; discuss practical and ethical implications of these differences for public leadership.
- LO 1b: Identify and discuss the role of public leaders toward recognizing and instituting the principles of democratic governance in public organizations and community-based initiatives.
GOAL 2: Prepare students to initiate and facilitate interactions between government, for-profit, and nonprofit sectors to provide ethical and workable solutions to societal needs.
- LO 2a: Report findings and interpret research in recognition of, and with respect for, diverse cultural and historical perspectives; correctly identify limitations and constraints; effectively communicate with elected officials, administrators, issue advocates and the population at large.
- LO 2b: Determine, collect and articulate the interests of diverse voices of a community, especially the most vulnerable among us.
GOAL 3: Create a collaborative environment of excellence in instruction, research, and service.
- LO 3: Demonstrate leadership behavior through application of organizational and managerial theories.
GOAL 4: Translate research into effective practices and achievable, humane policies.
- LO 4a: Determine, collect and articulate the interests of diverse voices of a community, especially the most vulnerable among us.
- LO 4b: Accurately interpret and communicate analytic research and policy implications to stakeholders.
GOAL 5: Prepare students to determine, collect, and analyze the evidence appropriate and essential for implementing public service strategies.
- LO 5a: Develop and apply the critical thinking and analytical skills (qualitative and quantitative) necessary for effective, informed, and balanced policy analysis.
- LO 5b: Develop and present informed and balanced results
Students in the Health Services Administration emphasis of the MPA will also:
- LO HSA: Identify challenges and issues in the U.S. health care sector in specific areas of policy, its contemporary legal framework, and management; describe/develop operational responses and managerial adaptations.