FAQ for Local Address Update
Beginning fall 2021, the University of San Francisco will require all registered undergraduate and graduate students who are not living on campus to confirm or update their current local address at the start of each fall, spring, and summer semester. All registered students must confirm or update their local address by October 21, 2021. A lack of action will result in a registration hold, which means you will not be able to register for classes for intersession 2022, spring 2022, or summer 2022.
This requirement is part of USF’s process to comply with a new Federal Regulation. Aside from complying with federal law, having up-to-date local addresses allows us to provide students with essential health and safety services, direct students to local resources, and help everyone stay safe, connected, and informed.
Rather than a permanent address or mailing address, your local address is defined as the physical address where you are located while you are engaged in your program in the current semester. For example, you may be located at a specific address in San Francisco while taking classes in the fall semester and then relocate to a new address while you take classes in the spring semester.
- I usually live with my best friend in San Francisco, but this semester I have to go to Chicago for a couple months to take care of my sister. So, my sister's apartment in Chicago will be my local address.
- My parents' address in New York is what I consider my real home, but during the school year I stay with my aunt in Oakland. So, my aunt's condo in Oakland is my local address.
- I have an apartment in SF, but I didn't want to be away from my boyfriend during the pandemic and I'm staying with him in Reno. So, his house in Reno is my local address.
Log on to the Student Hub to complete the task by October 21, 2021. You will see a notification of the task on your profile dashboard which will alert you to either confirm or update your local address for the semester.
After you click on the task, you will be directed to a page that will display your current information and will allow you to either Confirm or Update your address.
No, you do not need to update or confirm your local address if you currently live in a USF residence hall.
No, a physical address is required, so you will not be permitted to provide a Post Office or P.O. Box as a local address.
When you enter an address, it goes through an address validation process. This process helps verify the accuracy of city names, postal codes, and more. If you are receiving an error message after entering your address, it is because your address could not be validated. The error message that appears in a red box at the top of the page will provide you with more information on what is causing the error.
A common cause of address validation errors is the use of abbreviations in the city name. Rather than using an abbreviation (e.g. "Ft. Worth"), you should spell out the entire name. Some examples include:
- "SSF" should be "South San Francisco"
- "Ft. Worth" should be "Fort Worth"
- "St. Paul" should be "Saint Paul"
Yes, addition to confirming or updating your local address in the Student Hub, international students also need to update their address with ISSS through their MyISSS account for immigration purposes. For more details about updating your address as an international student visit the MyISSS Student Handbook.
There are a couple reasons why you might not see a task in the Student Hub:
- If you live in a USF residence hall, you are not required to confirm or update your address.
- If you confirmed or updated your local address after the beginning of the fall semester, you have already met the requirement.
- If you are not registered for classes, the requirement does not apply.
If these reasons do not apply and you do not see a task in the Student Hub when you log in, you can visit the "My Profile" page in the Student Hub to view and edit your address:
- Go to the Student Hub and log in.
- Click on the dropdown arrow next to your name and a dropdown menu will be displayed. Select "My Profile."
- At the top of the "My Profile" page you will see your Name, CWID, Email, Phone, and Local Address displayed.
- Click on the "Edit" button to update your local address. Then click Save.
- Update or confirm your address:
- If the address displayed is incorrect and needs to be updated, click on the "Edit" button to update your local address. Then click Save.
- If the address displayed is correct, click on the "Edit" button and then click Save to confirm it.
If you need additional assistance, please contact:
For issues with inputting your address, navigating the Student Hub, and holds, please contact:
For issues with safety concerns, housing instability, and other matters that may prevent you from entering a local address, please contact: