Dear USF Community,
We write with a Thursday afternoon update on the gas leak on lower campus.
University Facilities and on-site contractors have finalized the relocation of the pipe and the work has passed inspection with Pacific Gas & Electric. Gas service is now being restored back to each lower campus building one by one. As this process will take some time, the following operational adjustments will continue into this evening:
- Market Cafe in the University Center will be open until 8 p.m. for deli, salad bar, and grab-and-go options.
- All hot meal services for dinner will be offered until 9 p.m. in The Open Door Cafe and Koret Lodge on Lone Mountain.
- Residential students in Hayes-Healy, Gillson, and Toler will regain hot water for showers. This may take time, as once the gas is restored the hot water system must heat back up to operational capacity.
- Dryers in lower campus residence halls will be online once gas has been restored to each building.
- If events in the McLaren Complex need to be relocated, sponsors will be alerted of new locations.
Main Drive will remain disrupted while the crew completes pipeline work safely, which will continue this evening as they return the site to regular working conditions. Additional efforts to replace paver stones will be completed during regular business hours and not create any evening disruptions. Campus operations will return to normal tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 16, 2022.
We want to thank you for your patience and understanding and extend our appreciation to university and subcontractor staff who worked through the night to remedy this situation in as timely a fashion as possible.
Vice President, Student Life
Associate Vice President, Facilities Management