Gender Inclusive Housing Community
Thank you for your interest in Gender Inclusive Housing. You can apply for Gender Inclusive Housing within the housing application and be entered into a lottery for a room in the gender inclusive community.
The Gender Inclusive housing option is intended to provide a safe, affirming, and inclusive community living option for students of the following identities and lived experiences:
- Transgender students,
- Gender Queer students,
- Students who are currently transitioning from one gender to another (i.e., transitioning from male to female or female to male),
- Students who do not conform to society’s expectations of their assigned gender at birth,
- Students who do not wish to be identified by any sex or gender identity,
- Students who are in the process of discovering their gender identity, and
- Students who appreciate and respect people with the above identities and lived experiences, and who would prefer to live in a community comprised of such.
The following are some specific qualities of the Gender Inclusive option:
- Students living in the Gender Inclusive community may share a room with students of any gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sex.
- There are no dedicated “male” or “female” bathrooms on the Gender Inclusive floor. The bathroom is a communal bathroom and shared by all members of the community (regardless of gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sex).
- Community standards include:
- Modeling behavior that reflects a positive value and respect for gender as a non-binary construct (human beings are not necessarily “male” or “female” as ascribed by their assigned gender at birth)
- Openness and desire to develop one’s own understanding about gender identity, sexual orientation, and other differences
- Working to create and promote a safe, affirming, and inclusive community for all students
- Use of inclusive and socially just language and the preferred names and gender pronouns of community members
- Education of guests about the values and community expectations of the Gender Inclusive community