What's In My Room?
Your residence hall will be your home for the next year or two. Make it a comfortable space that expresses your personality.
What's In Your Room
View your specific residence hall webpage for more building-specific information and to see video footage of various room types!
Furniture provided to each student
- Bed, box spring, and mattress, size Twin Extra Long (Twin XL).
Dimensions: approximately 80 inches x 36 inches x 6 inches (L x W x D).
- Desk with drawers
- Desk chair
- Dresser or chest of drawers
- Built-in heater
Notable items NOT in your room:
- Telephone line.
Most students bring a cell phone. If you would like a telephone line in your room, you must request it from ITS. They will provide the line and the phone, so don't bring a landline phone with you.
- Air conditioning or fan.
It doesn't normally get hot enough in San Francisco to require air conditioning. If you get hot easily, consider bringing a small desk fan.
- Desk lamp.
Desk lamps are not provided to students. Students should bring their own desk lamps if they would like one.
All residence halls have two closets, with the exception of Fromm Hall, which offers one. Closet doors in Hayes-Healy and Gillson Halls are removed to make better use of space. Curtains are provided in their place, but feel free to bring your own if you want to make it personalized. (The dimensions of the closet opening are 94 in. x 24 in.)
What to Bring
Here are some lists of items you should consider bringing. With some of the larger items, we strongly encourage you to coordinate with your roommate.
If you are mailing things to your new residence hall, make sure that they do not arrive before you check in or else they will be returned due to space limitations.
- Bedding, including pillow, blanket or comforter, and sheets (size Twin XL). Please visit the Vendors webpage for more information about how you can rent linens!
- Bath towels, bathrobe, and flip-flops for shower
- Toiletries and a caddy
- Clothes (Bring just enough for 1-2 semesters)
- Laundry detergent and a laundry bag or hamper (a collapsible hamper is easiest)
- Alarm clock
Most students also bring:
- Refrigerator* (one per room, no larger than 3.8 cubic feet)
- Microwave* (one per room)
- Microfridge® with Safe Plug® is a rental option for students looking to get a microwave and fridge two-in-one appliance! View the SHaRE Vendors page for more information about this product as well as how to order one.
- Plate, cup, utensils and dish soap to clean them
- Television and DVD player
- Small vacuum
*If you are assigned an apartment in Loyola Village, you may not bring your own refrigerator or microwave.
Other good ideas:
- Painters tape or putty to put up posters and pictures (no tacks or nails!)
- Headphones (if your roommate is studying, you can still listen to music or watch a movie with headphones on)
- Ear plugs and/or sleeping mask (if you're as light sleeper, having ear plugs and a sleeping mask will help you rest better with a roommate in the same room)
- Slippers for walking in the halls or to the lounge
- Throw rug
What NOT to Bring
Here are some lists of things you don't need or are not allowed:
- No pets or animals (exception: freshwater fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons are allowed)
- No candles or open flames
- No electrical appliances, including, but not limited to:
Torchiere halogen lamps
Anything with an open coil
These items are not recommended:
USF has printers in many locations around campus. For most students, it is easier and cheaper to print on campus printers than to buy a printer and stock toner and paper.
- Video games or movies
Most of your time will be spent doing other things, so don't bring more than a couple games or movies.
If you need anything repaired, you can submit a request to the Facilities Management Team.
You may bring these items for use in the kitchen, but not in your room.
- Rice cooker
- Toaster oven
- Coffee maker
- Similar cooking appliances
Where to Buy Room Items / Accessories
Looking for bedding and other items for your dorm room? Here are some local specialty stores near campus!
Located on cross streets Masonic and Geary.
Here you can find bedding, bath, laundry, organization, entertainment, electronic, and decoration items!
Bed Bath & Beyond
555 9th St. San Francisco, CA 94103 (415) 252-0490
(Approximately 15 minutes by car; 35 minutes via bus)
Here you can find bedding, bath, laundry, organization, and decoration items!