2023 Commencement General Information
The University of San Francisco will celebrate the 164th Commencement Ceremonies in person at a reduced capacity. Guest tickets will be limited to four (4) tickets per student. Please review the requirements for all guests at Commencement.
- Vaccinated guests must show proof of full vaccination status, including a booster dose, prior to entering the church. Please review the list of Approved Vaccines.
- Unvaccinated guests must provide a negative COVID-19 test administered within 24 hours of the start of each ceremony. This testing requirement is applicable for all unvaccinated guests above the age of (24 months). Please note that at-home tests will NOT be accepted as we cannot verify who took the test, thus we require the test to be administered by a healthcare professional.
All guests, regardless of vaccination status, are required to complete a Dons Health Check and a COVID-19 Visitor Questionnaire before arriving on campus. Students must complete the Dons Health Check.
All ceremonies will be streamed virtually on USF's website, YouTube and Facebook. There will be NO overflow seating areas in order to minimize the number of guests on campus. If a guest does not have a ticket, they should not come to campus.
*We are continuing to monitor COVID-19 with our partners at the San Francisco Department of Public Health and will make any necessary changes they require.
We invite the whole community — students, family, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends of the university — to attend virtually from all over the country and all over the world.
(all event times PDT)
THURSDAY, MAY 18, 2023
- 3:00 p.m. - Commencement Mass in St Ignatius Church
*Guest tickets not required.
SATURDAY, MAY 20, 2023
- 3:00 p.m. - School of Law Commencement in St Ignatius Church
*Guest tickets required.
Student Organizations' Celebrations
(all event times PDT)
(all event times PDT)
Please attend the Grad Finale hosted by the Deans’ Office and Jostens Company to pick up academic regalia and graduation materials. Grad Finale will be TBD. This is a drop-in event, and the entire process should take no more than 30 minutes. This event is your only opportunity to obtain your regalia before the week of graduation.
You must bring photo identification to obtain your academic regalia and graduation materials. You will also need to complete the employment survey through OCS before you can obtain your regalia and materials. (If someone other than you is picking up your academic regalia and graduation materials, you must complete the Proxy Pick Up Authorization Form and your proxy must bring the printed form with them to the Grad Finale.)
At Grad Finale, you will be able to:
- Obtain your academic regalia, which includes your tam, gown, and hood. (Your commencement regalia and hood are free and yours to keep once commencement is over)
- Obtain instructions on how to access four electronic guest tickets for the Commencement Ceremony at 3:00 pm on May 20, 2022, in St. Ignatius Church.
- Obtain 10 complimentary graduation announcements.
- RSVP to the Alumni and Graduates Reception
- Place an in-person order for USF college rings, personalized graduation announcements, and diploma frames.
- Contribute to your class gift.
- Sign up through the SBA for extra Commencement Ceremony guest tickets (if available).
If you do not attend Grad Finale or complete a Proxy Pick Up Authorization Form, you may pick up your instructions to access electronic guest tickets, complimentary announcements, and other graduation information from the Deans’ Office, which is located in KN 328, during our regular business hours. For your academic regalia, you will only be able to pick it up from the Gleeson Atrium from 12 noon to 6:00 pm on Friday, May 19, and from 8:00 am to any time before our ceremony Saturday, May 20.
Class Rings & Announcements
- Order a USF Class Ring and Announcements on the USF Jostens Page.
Conferral of Degrees
Participation in a commencement ceremony is separate from completion of degree requirements. After all grades are received each semester, final degree audits will be performed for expected graduates and degrees will be conferred as appropriate.
Questions about the USF School of Law Commencement? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about graduation, visit the Graduation Center on myUSF