Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI) Frequently Asked Questions
- General Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
- Domestic Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
- Study Abroad Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
General Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
- How do I get my courses to count for my core, major, minor, and elective credit? The Registrar's Office can evaluate your courses to fulfill both core requirements and elective credit. Your Major or Minor Department Chair will decide whether the courses you plan to take will count towards your Major or Minor requirements. You will ultimately need the approval from your Academic Dean to transfer any courses back to USF.
- What is the core minimum requirement? The minimum credit requirement to fulfill core is 2.5 credits.
- Can I take a pass/fail option at another institution? You can only take pass/fail options for elective credits. All core, major, minor credit must be taken for letter grades.
- What courses are not transferable?
Remedial and Vocational Skill courses are not transferable.
Examples of remedial courses: Developmental Reading/Writing, Basic Grammar skills, Arithmetic, Plane Geometry, Beginning/Intermediate Algebra
Examples Vocational Skills: Typing/Keyboarding, Welding, Woodworking, Automotive Technology, Filing, Shorthand, Dictation/Transcription – only transferrable if on the assist.org webpage – come in as elective credit.
No matter their source, level, or designation. no credit will transfer for remedial math or English (e.g. no English below English 1A or its equivalent, no math below College Algebra). Additionally, credit will not be granted for English writing courses taken at an institution located in a primarily non-English speaking country.
Domestic Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
- What steps do I need to take to get approval for to get courses outside of USF? You will need to submit your PEAI form to the One Stop for evaluation, including course descriptions/syllabi for the desired courses. You will then need signature of approval from both your Major Department Chair and Academic Dean before taking the course/s.
- How do I know what courses are transferable? The University of San Francisco evaluates and transfers credit from post-secondary institutions in the United States that are accredited, or candidates of accreditation, by the regional accrediting associations.
- Can I use the same approved PEAI form if I did not end up taking the courses that term? If you are approved to take courses for a specific semester and you do not end up taking the classes you will need to fill out a new PEAI form for that new semester go through of the process of receiving all approvals.
- What courses are transferable from California community colleges?
You may use the website: assist.org to view what courses are transferable to USF.
Additionally, you may view courses from institutions that USF has articulation agreements here: usfca.edu/admission/undergraduate/transfer/transfer-credit
- How do quarter system credits transfer back to USF?
Quarter credit is translated into semester credit by multiplying the amount of the quarter credit by .67.
1 quarter credit = .67 semester credit
2 quarter credits = 1.34 semester credits
3 quarter credits = 2.01 semester credits
4 quarter credits = 2.68 semester credits
- What is the lowest grade that will transfer in? Grades below a D will not transfer back to USF.
- Can I take online courses for core? Online course will not be approved to fulfill the Language requirement, Public Speaking (Core-A1) or the Applied or Laboratory Science (Core-B2) requirement.
Study Abroad Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI)
- What steps do I need to take to get approval for to take courses abroad? You will need to submit your PEAI form to the One Stop for evaluation to the Registrar’s Office, including course descriptions/syllabi for the desired courses. Course descriptions or syllabi must be translated in English. You will then need signature of approval from the Center for Global Education (CGE), your Major Department Chair and Academic Dean before taking the course/s.
- How will my credits transfer in?
- Sponsored Study Abroad Programs:
Your grades will be calculated into your USF GPA and will show up on your USF Transcript.
- External Study Abroad Programs:
Your grades will not be calculated into your USF GPA, but will transfer back to count for your Major, Minor, Core, and elective credit which you have been approved for. Credit will not be given to courses with grades below a D.
- Sponsored Study Abroad Programs:
- I took courses that were not on my original approved PEAI form. What steps do I take to have them approved? You will need to fill out a new retroactive PEAI form when you return. You will need the form evaluated and receive all approvals before the courses can be added to your record. If you have questions whether a course is transferable or will count towards core you can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- My major and minor credit is not showing up on my degree evaluation? All courses will be entered as elective or to fulfill core (if approved). Major and minor credit is applied to your record by your major/minor department. You will to contact them in order to have the courses applied to your major or minor.
- What if I want to petition a grade change from my study abroad institution? USF transfers in the credits/grades as they appear on the official transcript received from the Host Institution. If there are any discrepancies, it is your responsibility to resolve the issues with the host institution directly. If you resolve these issues, we will need to receive an updated Official transcript before we can update your academic record.