- You must earn 64 CREDITS before going abroad (Junior standing), and complete your last 30 units (Senior year) at USF; your Academic Dean's approval is required to study abroad your Sophomore or Senior year.
- If you are a transfer student, you must have completed at least 24 units at USF prior to study abroad. Under special circumstances, the Academic Dean may approve study abroad after one semester at USF.
- You must possess a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- Students in the SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT (SOM) must possess a 2.75 GPA in their major in addition to the overall 3.0 cumulative.
- If your GPA falls below these requirements, you must obtain your Academic Dean's approval to study abroad.
- SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS, AND SENIORS MAY BE ELIGIBLE TO DO A SUMMER OR INTERSESSION STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM SO LONG AS GPA & JUDICIAL REQUIREMENTS ARE MET AND THEY HAVE THEIR ACADEMIC DEAN'S APPROVAL.
- Nursing majors are only allowed to study abroad over intersession, spring break, or the summer.
*We highly advise meeting with your Academic Advisor and Academic Dean in CASA to review specific major requirements and proposed study abroad courses. Any waivers from the Academic Dean must be provided to our office in writing or via e-mail.
All students who wish to study abroad or participate in an international program (e.g., faculty-led course, immersion, field trip, etc) must have a satisfactory disciplinary (conduct) record with the Office of Student Conduct Rights and Responsibilities (OSCRR).
The Center for Global Education (CGE) will contact OSCRR with the list of all students interested in or having applied to studying or traveling abroad. OSCRR will grant CGE disciplinary clearance enabling students to advance in the application process.
Students who are under academic probation are not eligible to participate in any type of USF-sponsored study abroad program or immersion program. Students who have been or are on Conduct Probation (Disciplinary Probation) as determined by OSCRR are not allowed to participate in any kind of USF-sponsored international program (e.g., study abroad, short-term program, immersion, field study, etc.).
Most study abroad programs are open to all levels of language, however, some programs have specific language prerequisites. Many of USF’s Central and South American programs require Spanish proficiency or the equivalent of at least four or five semesters of college-level Spanish.
Some programs offer pre-semester intensive language classes at an additional cost. USF also offers an intensive Spanish Language summer program in Madrid, Spain that you may want to explore as an option before study abroad.
All students are responsible for meeting any program-specific language requirements for their selected study abroad program.
You must hold a national passport that will be valid six months after you study abroad.
You will provide the Center for Global Education a copy of your passport or US visa as part of the application process.
For domestic students: A U.S. Passport is good for ten years. If you do not have one or need to renew your passport, please apply immediately, as processing and delivery can take up to three months.
Passport instructions and applications are available in our office with an affixed list of post offices and contact information.
Apply for or renew your U.S. Passport today!