Tips on Attending Career Fairs
Purpose of the Fair
The Career & Internship Fair is an excellent opportunity for you to explore and discuss career and internship positions with representatives from a variety of companies and organizations. It also provides you with a chance to develop valuable contacts with key individuals. Your reasons for attending this event might include: acquiring information to help you make decisions about your career, making contacts which may lead to an internship or full-time position, and learning more about the opportunities in a given field for someone with your skills, interests and experience.
What to Do
- Familiarize yourself with organizations about which you have little or no knowledge
- Dress professionally (see our Professional Dress handout)
- Be positive, enthusiastic and self-confident; greet each employer with a handshake and a smile
- Have a list of questions to ask that are important to you
- Expect to take the lead in the conversation
- Be prepared to talk about your skills, interest and/or background
- Bring several copies of your updated resume; you may wish to leave off an objective
- Obtain the company representative’s business card and follow-up with a letter to those companies with which you would like to pursue job or internship opportunities
Suggested Questions to Ask
About the Company/Organization
- Would you tell me about your company and the types of skills and experience you are seeking?
- How does this company differ from its competitors?
- What divisions do you have?
- In which divisions are new college grads most likely to be hired?
- What do you like most about working for this organization?
- What advice would you give to someone who wants to break into this field?
About the Industry
- What are the areas of growth?
- What should I know about your industry and/or organization before applying for a position?
- With what professional associations do you suggest I become involved?
- What publications or periodicals should I be reading in order to acquaint myself with what is happening industry-wide?
About the Occupation
- What are the entry-level opportunities? or What opportunities exist for candidates with prior work experience?
- What are the skills that are most important for a position in the field?
- What are the advancement opportunities?
- What type of training is given to people entering this field?
- Are there immediate openings in your company? If not, what do you anticipate as the future opportunities?