Medical School Campus Resources
Medical School – Preparation
There are many resources you can take advantage of as a student at USF to prepare to be in the medical field:
- Pre-Health Professions Advising at University of San Francisco supports and coaches pre-health students and alumni as they prepare and apply for health professional programs. Please email our campus Pre-Health Professions Advisor, Marie Dutton at email@example.com to schedule an appointment and add yourself to the weekly pre-health listserv in order to be informed of events, news and opportunities on and off-campus. For more information, please visit: http://www.usfca.edu/Bi
- Attend USF’s “Health Professions Mentor Night” in October and the “Health Professions Alumni-Student Dinner” in April.
- Beta Beta Beta – Biological professional health society for students interested in connecting with their peers by engaging in socials, service, and professional activities.
- Alaepha – The African and Latin American Empowered Pre-Health Alliance is an organization whose mission is to provide support and guidance to African American and Latino students interested in the health field.
- Omicron Theta Chi Sorority – sorority for students interested in the health sciences. Dr. Pat Schulz is the faculty advisor.
- Women in Science – an organization that provides encouragement and support to women who are striving for a career in health or the sciences.
- Club for Neuroscience – a student group for those interested in the field of Neuroscience.
- Pre-Dental Society – an organization for individuals interested in dentistry. Contact the advisor, Scott Nunes (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
*For more information about the student organizations listed above, visit: http://www.usfca.edu/artsci/biol/organizations/
To learn more about volunteer opportunities at local hospitals visit: http://www.usfca.edu/Biology/Hospital_Volunteer_Opportunities/
Resources for Writing Your Medical School Personal Statement:
- “Medical School Essays That Made a Difference” – by Princeton Review
- “Essays That Will Get You Into Medical School” by Dan Kaufman, Chris Dowhan, and Adrienne Dowhan.
- “Ivy League Admission: 100 Successful Medical School Personal Statements” by Dr. Nancy L. Nolan
- “The Best Book on Med School Admissions” by Allen Chiou, David Iberri, Joyce Ho, and Manny Lam.
Additional Health Professions
Please refer to the following websites below if you would like to learn more information about the various health professions and their application process:
- AMCAS – American Medical College Application Service: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas/
- AACOMAS – American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine: http://www.aacom.org/infofor/applicants
- AADSAS – Associated American Dental Schools Application Service https://portal.aadsasweb.org/
- AACP – The American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy: http://www.pharmcas.org/
- VMCAS – Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges: https://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm