Degree Works

If you are a Law Student, please click here for the School of Law FAQ.

General Information

  1. What is Degree Works? Degree Works is a web-based tool for students and their academic advisers to monitor students’ academic progress toward degree completion.
  2. Who can use Degree Works? Degree Works is available to all current undergraduate and graduate students, and their faculty and University adviser, and the Graduation Center staff.
  3. Who can view the information in Degree Works? Only current students, advisers, faculty, and authorized staff are able to view the information contained in Degree Works.
  4. Is the information confidential? Yes. Like other processes you used in myUSF, Degree Works is accessed through a secure login.
  5. Can students register for courses in Degree Works? No. Degree Works is a snapshot of a student's progress towards their degree program, which may include in-progress courses. Registration is done through Banner Student Self-Service.
  6. What if I am having difficulty logging in to Degree Works on my computer? Contact the Help Desk at 415-422-6668 or email

Student Information


  1. What is Degree Evaluation? A degree evaluation is a review of past, in-progress, and planned course work that provides information on completed and remaining requirements necessary to complete a degree.
  2. How is the degree evaluation organized?The degree evaluation is laid out in sections. For example, Core Requirements, Major and/or Minor Requirements, and any additional requirements specific to a given program. Each section acts as a checklist that has boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is completed.
  3. How current is the information in Degree Works?The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. Click on the "Refresh" button and then the "Process New" button to see changes immediately.
  4. Are grades visible in Degree Works? Yes. Once grades have been processed, they are displayed in Degree Works. Grades will display as TBD until processed. 
  5. Can I save or print my degree evaluation? Yes. Utilizing the 'Save as PDF' button, you can save or print a .pdf version of your degree evaluation. You must type .pdf at the end of the file name and save. You may also click the Print button at the top of the evaluation page for a non-pdf version.
  6. What do I do if I believe the information on my degree evaluation is incorrect?  Contact your faculty adviser or department chair if you believe the following: My major, concentration, or minor is incorrect or missing from my degree evaluation; the requirements for my major, concentration, or minor are incorrect.; transfer courses don’t appear in the right place; classes are not appearing in the “right” place; my Faculty Adviser or Department Chair gave me permission to substitute or waive a course and the course is not showing on the audit.
  7. There are a lot of courses in the Open Electives section. Why? This can be for several reasons; a change in major may result in previously completed courses not satisfying the new major; student may have taken more courses in excess of those required for the major; student may not have officially declared a major/minor/concentration; additionally, transfer students and students who have fulfilled the Core requirements in some way will typically have courses in this section, as they may not apply directly to specific degree requirements.
  8. What if I am a graduate student pursuing two degrees, but only one is listed? First, check the “Degree” field drop down box at the top of the audit page. If the second degree is not there, contact your faculty adviser.
  9. What is the “What If?” The “What If” allows a student to see how their completed and in-progress course work fulfills the requirements for a program they may be interested in.
  10. How is a degree audit different from the academic transcript? The unofficial transcript is an internal record of your institutional and transfer course work and credits listed by semester. The official transcript is an official University document and is the permanent record that includes of all of your courses and grades, listed by semester, total transfer credits, attempted and earned credits, overall GPA,  Your degree program, major, minor, concentration, and university honors. The transcript additionally lists the conferral of your degree, transcript notes, and a grade explanation key on the reverse side.

Adviser Information

  1. How do I access a student’s degree audit? Log into myUSF, click on the Adviser/Faculty Tab and select Degree Evaluation.
  2. How do I find students in Degree Works? You can find students three different ways. You can search by name, ID or select a student from a list of your advisees.
  3. Search by list of advisees: After logging in, from the main page click on the down arrow for the Name field at the top left of the page to view a drop down list of your advisees. You can refresh the list anytime by pressing F5 on most keyboards, or right click on the page and select Reload if you are using Google Chrome or Refresh if you are using Internet Explorer.
  4. Search by name: Click on the Find button in the top left hand corner of the main page. Enter the first and last name of the student in the appropriate fields at the top of the Find-A-Student window and press enter. The student should appear in the search results at the bottom of the Find-A-Student window. Click the “OK” button to generate an audit.
  5. Search by student ID: Click on the Find button in the top left hand corner of the main page. Enter the ID in the appropriate fields at the top of the Find-A-Student window and press enter. The student should appear in the search results at the bottom of the Find-A-Student window. Click the “OK” button to generate an audit.
  6. There are no advisees in the name drop down list, what do I do? To refresh the list on most keyboards, press F5. You can also right click on the page and select Reload, if you are using Google Chrome or Refresh, if you are using Internet Explorer.
  7. What Appears on the Degree Evaluation? Any or all of the following sections may appear on the audit.
  8. Open Electives: Institutional or transfer courses applied to overall credit, but do not satisfy any specific requirement and may be used for substitutions when applicable. If the student changed majors, etc. courses that once counted may no longer apply. The student may be taking a major/minor/concentration that has not been officially declared.
  9. Insufficient: Courses that are academically unsatisfactory.
  10. Exceptions: Customizations applied to the student’s program based on approved substitutions, waivers, etc.
  11. Notes: Any pertinent comments made by the adviser, program chair, or university adviser. Notes are not viewable by students, but are viewable by Advisers and the Graduation Center Staff.
  12. Can I ignore courses in the Open Electives sections?  The Open Electives section contains courses that are not applied to any specific requirement. It is important to review courses in this section for potential substitutions and to ensure courses are being applied to the requirements properly.  If a course appears in the Open Electives section that should satisfy a requirement, submit a substitution request online.
  13. How does Degree Works determine what set of requirements to use? The student’s catalog year determines the major/concentration/minor requirements for a degree evaluation.
  14. What is the significance of the catalog year? The catalog year of record determines which catalog/degree requirements students follow to obtain a degree.
  15. What if a graduate student pursuing two degrees, but only one is listed? First, check the “Degree” field drop down box at the top of the evaluation page. If the second degree is not there, contact the Dean's Office.
  16. How do I attach a note to an degree evaluation? From the main page, search for the student, generate an evaluation. Click on the Notes tab, click on Add Note link in the left hand side of the page. You can select a predefined note from the pick-list and click Save Note or free write a note in the box provided and click Save Note. Notes are not viewable by students, but are viewable by advisers and the Graduation Center Staff.
  17. Can I view a term-by-term list of courses the student has taken? Yes. You can view the student’s class history by clicking on the Class History link to the right of the Process New button or view the academic transcript.
  18. What if the major, concentration or minor is listed incorrectly? The student should submit an approved Change of Academic Program form, signed by the Adviser and Dean, to the Student Enrollment Services Office.
  19. How do I submit a substitution or waiver? Login to myUSF and click the Adviser/Faculty tab, then select the waivers and substitutions link.
  20. The requirements on the degree evaluation do not appear to be correct, what could be wrong? Submit an email to
  21. How do I save or print an degree evaluation?  Click on the 'Save as PDF' button, to save or print a .pdf version of the degree evaluation. To save as ODF, be sure to type “.pdf” after the file name.
  22. How does Degree Works manage repeated courses? Degree Works adheres to USF’s repeat policies when producing a degree audit. Courses that are set up as repeatable will be used by Degree Works multiple times.
  23. What do the symbols on the audit mean? A symbol key is provided near the top of the audit to explain the symbols.

If you have questions, please contact the Graduation Center at (415) 422-3756 or