2018 Go Move Challenge: Week Three Recap
Published Friday, February 16
Are you keeping tabs on the latest and greatest numbers? More than 3,700 participants from 23 Jesuit Institutions have accumulated in excess of 1,500,000 minutes of activity! The challenge culminated with 3,354 participants moving for 3,143,377 minutes last February; let’s make 4,000,000 minutes our collective goal!
Congratulations to winners of the picture/video of the week!
- Lou Ruvolo from Saint Peter’s University for the video of the week
- And for the picture of the week, there was a tie between the image of the Le Moyne College snowshoers and the image of the California coast from Santa Clara University's Simone Billings!
The winners of the weekly contest will be announced every Monday morning and are chosen based on the most likes and comments on Facebook, so make sure you stay active on social media! You can view these and more pictures and videos by joining the Go Move Challenge group on Facebook.
As we have been reporting each week, here is some feedback from another happy Go Move participant: Andrew Hubert, a police officer for Marquette University's policy department, is thoroughly enjoying his first year participating in the challenge. He mentioned that he has never tracked his exercise before due to the active nature of his job. That being said, the ability to easily see his personal progress on the website has provided additional motivation to do a little bit more at the gym. As a result, he sees himself continuing to log workouts, even after the challenge!
Once again, here is a recap of how faculty and staff are creatively earning their minutes of movement, regardless of climate and other challenges!
- Matt Chesley of University Detroit Mercy is a beacon of motivation despite ongoing snow storms! He has been encouraging his team to use the indoor track, take fitness classes, and sign up for his personal training sessions. The university is simultaneously hosting a biggest loser competition which has aligned perfectly with the Go Move Challenge so participants are extra motivated this month!
- Xavier University's faculty and staff have braved the cold (we're talking 16 degrees, people!) by walking their Mission Mile. Way to go Xavier!
- Dawn Obermiller of Creighton University doesn’t let a little snow slow her down. She has been shoveling snow, walking her dog, and hiking with her husband. David Buffington motivates himself by focusing on at-home strength training sessions.
- Monde Donaldson from Spring Hill College finds time to fit in walking during her travels. Way to multitask!
- Colleagues from Le Moyne College have been having fun sledding and snowshoeing at lunchtime; what a fun crew!
- Jaime Rojas has been riding his bike indoors with extra motivation from his Zwift trainer!
- Spring Hill College faculty and staff have been walking a lot in the non-stop Mardi Gras parades.
- Lori Gloyd of Loyola Marymount University has been earning minutes by walking on the beach while Rosie Pullido runs, bikes, and swims for her triathlon training.
- USF's Lauren Graves earned minutes while running under the Golden Gate Bridge; Linda Wong marched three miles with her youth organization for the Lunar New Year Celebrations.
- Lou Ruvolo of Saint Peter’s University enjoyed skiing in St. Moritz!
- Janice DeMonsi played soccer with her ladies team, Gigi Groener ran a 5K Valentine’s Day race, and Simone Billings enjoyed a run along the west coast.
- Richard Eberhardt earned minutes by rock climbing indoors!
We would love to hear from participants from every institution! Remember to share your stories and follow us on social media. Keep moving and tracking - 12 more days to go! If you have any questions, please contact the Go Move Challenge administrator, Suzy Kisylia, email@example.com.
Dr. Jennifer Friend, Dean of the College of Health and Human Services at Rockhurst University, practices Yoga with her dog Digby.
Krista Warner and fellow Xavier University colleagues
Simone Billings, Santa Clara University
GiGi Groener and Gayle A Bandy, Santa Clara University
Richard Eberhardt, Fordham University
Lisa Kirby's crew, University of San Francisco
Lauren Graves, University of San Francisco
Amy Zubieta and crew, Le Moyne College
Vivian Lezak, Loyola Marymount University