2018 Go Move Challenge: Week Two Recap
Published Friday, February 9
The AJCU institutions who are new to the Go Move Challenge this year have brought with them an unparalleled enthusiasm to move, despite record winter weather. In fact, there has been so much interaction on social media this year that we started a photo/video contest of the week! Congratulations to Saint Peter's University for their super motivating kick-off video and Le Moyne College for their beautiful photo taken during their Go Red for Women walk. Remember to join the Go Move Challenge Group on Facebook to see all the photos and stories, and post yours for a chance to be featured!
The numbers continue to be impressive: over 3,500 faculty and staff from 23 participating Jesuit institutions have accumulated more than 400,000 minutes of activity!
Sarah Jurewitch, a campus security officer for Loyola University Chicago, says that she was "inspired to join the challenge to encourage me to move more." After competing in the challenge for four years, Sarah has found that she feels better, has lost a bit of weight, is more toned, and in much better shape. Vivian Papp, teaching fellow and Ph.D. candidate from Fordham University says that she was "inspired to join the challenge after seeing a flyer in her department" and "thought it was a great idea to encourage the university to move more." The positive outcomes she’s hoping for are a mind/body connection - cura personalis. How has Go Move inspired you? Share your experiences with us!
As displayed on social media, participants are certainly showing their creativity in earning their minutes:
- Spring Hill College: Heidi Butler from Spring Hill College spent the weekend planting veggies and Ashley Rains walked a lot during Mardi Gras in Mobile, AL
- Karin Botto from Le Moyne College walked around Philly in preparation for the Super Bowl
- Dawn Obermiller from Creighton University relished the 47 warm temp by hiking with her dog
- Vivian Pap from Fordham spent 60 minutes doing Zumba
- Rima Kinsey Nemecheck from Santa Clara University hiked her way around Los Gatos creek during the warm spell that California has been getting
- Eileen Alexander from Xaver University went ice skating, where it was colder outside than inside the rink
- Kristin Kipp and crew from Marquette who braved a freezing cold walk in zero degree weather
There are 19 more days to go before the winning institution(s) are announced! Keep moving and logging your minutes. If you have any questions, please contact the Go Move Challenge administrator, Suzy Kisylia, at email@example.com.
Karin Botto from Saint Joseph's University walking around Philadelphia, PA
Spring Hill College's Ashley Hays Rains, Richard Dean, and colleagues walking around campus.
Le Moyne College's Amy Zubieta, Katie Jean, Emily Latanyshyn, Penny Santy, and colleagues.
Creighton University's Dawn Obermiller walking around Omaha, NE.
Marquette University's Kristin Kipp, Danielle Ludtke, and colleague.
Faculty and staff from Fordham University doing yoga.
USF's Suzy Kisylia biking in the East Bay, CA.
University of Santa Clara's Rima Kinsey Nemechek walking the Los Gatos Creek Trail.