On-Campus Employment

All F-1 degree seeking students may work on campus without prior approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Eligible F-1 students should take the following steps in seeking on-campus employment:

F-1 On-Campus Employment:

  1. Search for a job on campus, and get a job offer. See "Find an on-campus job" for more information.
  2. Complete USCIS Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, according to the instructions found online. Once you have completed section 1 of the form, take your form and supporting documents to the Student Employment Office, LM 202-204. This step must be complete before your begin working.
  3. Obtain a Work Clearance form at Student Employment and give it to your on-campus supervisor. Once your supervisor has your Work Clearance form you can start working and be added to the USF payroll.
  4. Have your employer complete the Work Authorization form on the ISSS website, and bring it to ISSS for an advisor to sign. Once you have collected the completed form from ISSS, you are ready to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN). See "How to apply for a Social Security Number" for more information. 

Students may work part-time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus while classes are in session. Student assistant-ships are considered on-campus employment and are also limited to 20 hours per week. During the Summer period and Intersession, students may work on campus up to 35 hours per week  if enrolling in classes the following term. Students may also work up to 35 hours per week during Spring Break. The following resources will help you in your job search and in applying for a Social Security Number:

Jobs are sometimes prioritized for “Work Study” students; international students are not eligible for Work Study designation since the program is funded through the United States government.