In 1999, the USF Jesuit Community moved from Xavier Hall on the main campus to our present residence on the Lone Mountain campus.
The new Jesuit residence at the University of San Francisco is named "Loyola House" after Saint Ignatius of Loyola (1491-1556), the founder of "The Society of Jesus," the Roman Catholic religious order more popularly known as "The Jesuits."
Loyola House provides housing for most of the Jesuit priests who work or study at USF, as well as several who work on the staff of St. Ignatius Parish. We also several guest rooms to accommodate our many Jesuit visitors from around the world. In addition, several Jesuits who live at the nearby St. Agnes Parish (in the Haight-Ashbury district) are also members of our Loyola House Jesuit Community.
Our house chapel, called the "Chapel of Our Lady of Montserrat," recalls the shrine of the Madonna with the Child Jesus in the Benedictine Monastery near Barcelona where Ignatius committed himself to the service of Jesus as his King and Lord. The chapel windows depict the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius.
The Loyola House building itself is in the style of a Tuscan villa, complete with a garden and fountain. The house offers magnificent views of the City and the San Francisco Bay.