Resources on Jesuits
Websites about the Society of Jesus and Jesuit life
Books by or about St. Ignatius of Loyola
- Ignatius of Loyola: The Pilgrim Saint.
by J. Ignacio Tellechea Idigoras; translated by Cornelius Michael Buckley, SJ. Loyola Press, 1994.
- Ignatius of Loyola: The Spiritual Exercises and Selected Works. (Classics of Western Spirituality.)
edited by George E. Ganss, SJ, & Edward J. Malatesta, SJ. Paulist Press, 1991.
- Ignatius of Loyola: The Psychology of a Saint.
by William W. Meissner. Yale Univ Press, 1994.
- Ignatius of Loyola: Personal Writings: Reminiscences, Spiritual Diary, Select Letters Including the Text of the Spiritual Exercises.
translated by Joseph A. Munitiz and Philip Endean. Saint Ignatius Press, 1997.
- Ignatius Loyola the Mystic.
by Harvey D. Egan, SJ. Liturgical Press, 1987.
- St. Ignatius of Loyola: A Pictorial Biography.
by Leonard von Matt and Hugo Rahner, SJ; translated by John Murray, SJ. Henry Regnery Company, 1956. Abridged "pocket-book" edition: Universe Books, 1963.
- The Autobiography of St. Ignatius Loyola: with Related Documents.
translated by Joseph F. O'Callaghan. Fordham University Press, 1992.
- The First Jesuit: St. Ignatius Loyola (1491-1556).
by Mary Purcell. Loyola University Press, 1981.
- The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius: A Translation and Commentary.
by George E. Ganss, SJ. Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1992.
- Draw Me into Your Friendship: The Spiritual Exercises: A Literal Translation & A Contemporary Reading.
by David L. Fleming, SJ. Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1996. (Updated edition; originally published 1978.)
- The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius: A Literal Translation & A Contemporary Reading.
by David L. Fleming, SJ. Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1978.
- The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius.
translated by Anthony Mottola, SJ; intro by Robert W. Gleason, SJ. Doubleday: Image Books, 1964.
- The Spirituality of St. Ignatius Loyola: An Account of Its Historical Development.
by Hugo Rahner, SJ; translated by Francis John Smith, SJ. Newman Press, 1953; reprint Loyola University Press, 1980.
- Letters of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
Selected and translated by William J. Young, SJ. Loyola University Press, 1959.
Books About Ignatian Spirituality
- An Ignatian Spirituality Reader: Contemporary Writings on St. Ignatius of Loyola, the Spiritual Exercises, Discernment, and More.
edited by George W. Traub, SJ. Loyola Press, 2008.
- An 8-Day Ignatian Retreat: for Priests, Religious, Deacons, and Lay Ministers.
by Thomas P. Rausch, SJ. Paulist Press, 2008.
- A Modern Scriptural Approach to the Spiritual Exercises.
by David M. Stanley, SJ. Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1967.
- Discipleship and Its Foundations: A Jesuit Retreat.
by David L. Fleming, SJ. Review for Religious, 2005.
- Finding God in Troubled Times.
Richard J. Hauser, SJ. Loyola Press, 2002.
- "I Encountered God!" The Spiritual Exercises with the Gospel of Saint John.
by David M. Stanley, SJ. Institute of Jesuit Sources, 1986.
- In the Midst of Noise: An Ignatian Retreat in Everyday Life.
by Michael Campbell-Johnston, SJ. Liguori Press, 2010.
- Moment by Moment: A Retreat in Everyday Life.
by Carol Ann Smith, SHCJ, and Eugene F. Merz, SJ. Ave Maria Press, 2000.
- On Becoming Whole in Christ: An Interpretation of the Spiritual Exercises.
by John F.X. Sheehan, SJ. Loyola University Press, 1978.
- Spiritual Exercises: Prayer and Practice.
by Karl Rahner, SJ. Sheed & Ward, 1966.
- Praying with Ignatius of Loyola.
by Jacqueline Syrup Bergan and Marie Schwan. The Word Among Us Press, 1991.
- An Ignatian Book of Days: Daily Reflections from the Spiritual Wisdom of St. Ignatius of Loyola.
by Jim Manney. Loyola Press, 2014.
- The Ignatian Workout: Daily Spiritual Exercises for a Healthy Life.
by Tim Muldoon. Loyola Press, 2004.
- Place Me with Your Son: Ignatian Spirituality in Everyday Life.
by James W. Skehan, SJ. Georgetown University Press, 1991, 3rd edition (1st edition, 1985).
- For the Greater Glory of God: A Spiritual Retreat with St. Ignatius.
by Manuel Ruiz Jurado, SJ; translated by Robert E. Hurd, SJ. The Word Among Us Press, 2002.
- Understanding the Spiritual Exercises: A Handbook for Retreat Directors.
by Michael Ivens, SJ. Gracewing, 1998.
- Eyes to See, Ears to Hear: An Introduction to Ignatian Spirituality.
by David Lonsdale, SJ. Loyola University Press, 1990.
Books About The Society of Jesus (The Jesuits)
- A Jesuit Tale.
by John F. Shekleton. Rutledge Books, 2000.
- Bamboo Swaying in the Wind: A Survivor's Story of Faith and Imprisonment in Communist China.
by Claudia Devaux, George Bernard Wong, SJ. 2000.
- The First Jesuits.
by John W. O'Malley, SJ. Harvard University Press, 1993.
- Jesuit Saints & Martyrs: Short Biographies of the Saints, Blessed, Venerables, and Servants of God of the Society of Jesus.
by Joseph N. Tylenda, SJ. Loyola University Press, 1984.
- The Jesuits and the Third Reich. Texts and Studies in Religion, Vol 39.
by Vincent A. Lapomarda. Edwin Mellen Press, 1989.
- The Origin of the Jesuits.
by James Brodrick, SJ; foreword by Joseph N. Tylenda, SJ. Loyola Press, 1997.
- The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking: Recipes and Traditions from Jesuit Bakers Around the World.
by Rick Curry, SJ. Harperperennial Library, 1995.
- This Our Exile: A Spiritual Journey with the Refugees in East Africa.
by James Martin, SJ.
- Would You Baptize an Extraterrestrial? ...and Other Questions from the Astronomer's Inbox at the Vatican Observatory.
by Guy Consolmagno, SJ and Paul Mueller, SJ. Random House: Image, 2014.
Movies About The Society of Jesus
- The Mission (1986)
Director: Roland Joffe. Starring: Robert De Niro, Jeremy Irons. A man of the sword and a man of the cloth, both Jesuit missionaries, defy the colonial forces of mighty Spain and Portugal as they attempt to save an Indian tribe in mid-18th Century South America from slavery.
Books by USF Jesuits
[by Current or Former Members of the USF Jesuit Community]
- Christology: A Biblical, Historical, and Systematic Study of Jesus Christ.
by Gerald O'Collins, SJ. 1995.
- Deepening Christian Life: Integrating Faith and Maturity.
by Francis J. Buckley, SJ. 1987.
- Focus on Jesus: Essays in Christology and Soteriology.
by Gerald O'Collins, SJ, and Daniel Kendall, SJ. 1996.
- Horizons of Criticism: An Assessment of Religious-Literary Options.
by Vernon Ruland, SJ. 1975.
- Imagining the Sacred: Soundings in World Religions (Faith Meets Faith).
by Vernon Ruland, SJ. 1998.
- Los Sacramentos: Doctrina Catolica Elemental Sobre Los Sacramentos Para Hispanos Adultos y Sus Familias.
by Maria De La Cruz Aymes and Francis J. Buckley, SJ. 1990.
- Sacred Lies and Silences: A Psychology of Religious Disguise.
by Vernon Ruland, SJ. 1994.
- Team Teaching: What Why, and How?
by Francis J. Buckley, SJ. 1999.
- The Bible for Theology: Ten Principles for the Theological Use of Scripture.
by Gerald O'Collins, SJ, and Daniel Kendall, SJ. 1997.
- The Resurrection: An Interdisciplinary Symposium on the Resurrection of Jesus.
edited by Stephen T. Davis, Daniel Kendall, SJ, and Gerald O'Collins, SJ. 1999.
- The Trinity: An Interdisciplinary Symposium on the Trinity.
edited by Stephen T. Davis, Daniel Kendall, SJ, and Gerald O'Collins, SJ. 2000.