CH 30 MGIB and 1606 Benefits
This page is dedicated to students using Ch. 30 MGIB or 1606 benefits at USF. Please see links below for information for new students with next steps on using your benefit at USF, what to expect, the certification process, and important information about your USF student bill. If you cannot find your answer on this page, please reach out to our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Welcome to USF! We look forward to working with you to ensure smooth processing of your VA educational benefits. Please see below for next steps:
As a student at USF using VA educational benefits, it is your responsibility to:
- Complete the online certification request form each term you intend to use your VA benefits. Students that do not submit this form will not be certified.
- Notify the certifying officials regarding registration changes, withdrawing from classes, leave of absences, withdrawals from USF, and/or going on active duty.
- Maintain satisfactory progress. If you do not meet the academic standards set by USF, we are required to notify the VA and your benefits may be discontinued. View the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for more information.
- Students must submit VA eligibility documentation, register for classes and complete the VA certification request form in order to have VA benefits applied to their account.
- Continuing students only need to register and complete the certification request form each semester.
- Students must submit a certification request form each semester in order to utilize VA benefits at USF. Failure to do so may result in delays of VA housing benefits/ course registration cancellation.
- Chapter 30/1606 aid does not come to the school.
- Students will receive monthly payments from the VA in accordance with the annual rate which is available on the VA website.
- To remain in compliance with the VA, USF is required to split up certifications if courses are shorter than the standard semester, ie: 6-8 week courses for graduate students. This can affect the monthly stipend amount. The VA will not pay for gaps in between classes, please plan accordingly.
- Students are required to adhere to all payment due dates for any out of pocket expenses.
- Please contact email@example.com with billing discrepancies questions.
- Students with owing balances after their aid has been applied may consider using the payment plan for balances over $2,250.
- Students who withdraw or take a leave of absence from the University on or after the first day of the semester must comply with the official USF Withdraw or Leave of Absence policy in order to be eligible for a refund.
- Students that reduce registration before census date will not generate prorated charges as long as they keep some registration for the term.
- Students with unpaid balances may be subject to holds/ late fees.
- It is the student’s responsibility to pay late fees.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding holds/ late fees.
- Financial aid refunds will only be processed for overpayments of refundable aid.
- Students receiving additional financial aid should consult with a financial aid counselor to understand their award packages.