Joint Committee on Faculty Development Funds
The JFDF Applications are requested once each semester and then reviewed on a rolling basis. The Spring 2020 application cycle privileges the applications of junior faculty; however, everyone is encouraged to apply. Please take this important opportunity to apply for research or teaching effectiveness funds up to $2700.
- Please submit a separate application for each project. Do not lump projects together under one application. Similarly, please include a separate application coversheet for each application. Each project needs a separate title.
- For each application, please include the specific objectives of your project. This should include how your project contributes to your larger research and/or pedagogical goals. This should be approximately a paragraph.
- For each application, please include the specific research activities (methods) of your project. Please be specific. Again, this should be approximately a paragraph.
- For each application, please include the participants involved in the project. If students are involved as a RA, please include their specific responsibilities. Again, this should be approximately a paragraph.
- If applicable, please include the title of any paper and/or presentation connected to your project. For example, if you are applying for funding for AERA, please include the title of your presentation (even if it hasn’t been officially accepted).
- For each application, please include a detailed and itemized budget. Please do not guesstimate airfare, hotel rate, etc. but instead reference actual rates.
- Please submit your application to your department JFDC representative. Applications will be reviewed twice. The first review will be done by the department representative. During this initial review, applicants may hear from the reviewer with a request to make changes and/or add more detail. After the initial review, the application will be sent to the committee co-chairs for final review. If the application is accepted, the co-chairs will send you an acceptance by email and forward the application to Ramona and Kim.
- Please plan your application budget carefully. We are no longer able to reallocate unused funds from an application. For example, if your original application stated that you were going to use $2000 for conference travel and attendance and you only use $1500 of those funds, you may not repurpose those funds. The remaining $500 will be transferred into the SOE JFDC pool. There are no exceptions to this policy.
- If expenses come in over budget, you will need to provide additional documentation. Please follow the following directions when submitting your expenses that exceed your original budgeted expenses:
- If your expenses are less than $100 above your budgeted expenses, no additional documentation is necessary. For example, if you budgeted $35 for transportation for a conference and you spent $65, you do not need to submit any additional documentation.
- If your expenses are $100 or more above your budgeted expenses, you will need to submit a revised budget and explanation. This revised budget and explanation will be attached to your original application. For example, if you budgeted $450 for airfare to a conference and you ultimately spent $600 on the flight, you will need to revise your budget and provide a brief explanation as to the change. Please submit these revisions to Ramona, Kim, and the committee co-chairs.
- Please plan your applications in advance. The committee is no longer able to switch already allocated funds to new projects midyear. For example, if your original application stated that you were going to use the funds to attend AERA and you decide not to attend AERA, you may not use the funds for another purpose. Instead these funds will be transferred into the SOE JFDC pool.
Exceptions will be made under the following circumstances:
- Unanticipated postponement of research. For example, if your original application stated that you were using the funds for data collection in April of the current academic year but the trip was changed by the people and/or organization where you were going, you can delay using the funds for up to one academic year.
- Health related issues
- Unforeseen weather
- Unforeseen political unrest