Performance Management and Reviews
In this process, the supervisor and employee work together to establish, monitor and review the employee’s work objectives and overall contributions to the organization for the year. Performance Management provides supervisors with an opportunity to assess employees’ current performance – recognizing their strengths, celebrating their achievements, identifying areas of improvement and/or professional development, and planning for/setting goals for the next review period. Supervisors and employees should communicate regularly on the assigned goals and accompanying core competency behaviors, as well as the progress made towards achieving them.
For non-union employees and OPE staff, the formal annual performance management review is a summary of the year-long communication between employees and supervisors. All union employees should refer to their collective bargaining agreement for information on performance reviews. Visit the Performance Appraisals web page to download the appropriate forms and guidelines, depending on the type of employee, and to view current due dates.
The University requires that supervisors of non-union staff conduct a performance appraisal at least annually, and provide an instrument to do so. The timing of when performance appraisals are conducted can be based on the operational needs of individual divisions, schools/colleges, and departments.
Performance reviews consist of the following process:
- Employees complete a “self-appraisal” form to review their own performance from the previous year.
- Supervisors complete a “staff performance appraisal” form to review and assess their employee’s performance from the previous year, and to review and revise their employee’s goals as needed for the next year.
- Supervisors may use an appraisal form that is different than the university form. The form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval prior to use.
- Supervisors are required to meet one-on-one with their employees to review and discuss the self-appraisal and staff performance appraisal forms.
- If you have any questions about this process, please contact your Dean or Vice President. If you need assistance with the process itself, please contact the Human Resources office at (415) 422-6707 or email@example.com and we would be happy to provide support and guidance.
- Upon completion, all Departments are required to retain a copy of both the self-appraisal and the staff performance appraisal for each employee. Additionally, copies of performance appraisals must be sent to Human Resources at LMM 339, Lone Mountain Main.
For OPE staff, the process includes a 4 month probationary period review for new OPE staff, a mid-year check-in and a formal annual performance appraisal. Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, employees are contractually obligated to meet with their supervisors for a mid-year performance check-in; no formal documentation (written evaluation) is required by either party. All signed and completed performance appraisals are due to human resources in Lone Mountain 339 by April 25, 2020. For questions, please contact David Philpott at firstname.lastname@example.org.