Gender Identity and Gender Pronouns Policy

Recognizing that gender identity and gender pronouns are more than a common courtesy — they are forms of self-determination, self-expression, and self-affirmation, the University of San Francisco offers students the option to indicate their gender identity and gender pronoun. The University extends this accommodation in order to help foster a more welcoming, supportive, and respectful campus climate for all of its students.

Indication of gender identity does not constitute a legal sex change. Students who are legally changing their sex should follow the instructions listed at SSN and Name Changes. Students’ gender identity and gender pronouns will be maintained by the Office of the University Registrar in the University’s Banner Student System. Students’ gender pronouns will appear in several internal locations, including class lists and grade rosters. Gender identity and gender pronoun designations are as follows:

Gender Identity

  • Man
  • Woman
  • Non-Binary
  • Prefer Not to Disclose
  • N/A

Gender Pronouns

  • He/Him/His
  • She/Her/Hers
  • They/Them/Theirs
  • No Preference
  • Prefer Not to Disclose

Note: Legal sex is required for federal financial aid and federal reporting. A student’s legal sex is usually provided during the admission application process and on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).

Legal Sex – for Federal Financial Aid and Federal Reporting

F – female
M – male

Places Where Gender Pronouns are Used

  • Class lists
  • Grade roster
  • Canvas
  • Degree Works
  • Most university communications
  • SHaRE
  • myUSF
  • Student Hub
  • Gleeson Library
  • Development

Places Where Legal Sex is Used

  • Financial Aid Eligibility
  • Student Employment
  • SEVIS (Immigration status reporting)
  • Federal and State Agency Reporting

Procedure for Viewing and Updating Gender Identity and/or Gender Pronouns

Log on to myUSF. On the Student tab, click on "Gender Identity and Gender Pronouns" to view and update your gender identity and/or gender pronouns.


Please contact the Office of the University Registrar at with questions. Law School students should contact the Office of the Law Registrar at