Understanding Legislation

Bill Name



Who qualifies?


AB 540 In-State Tuition Exempts students from out-of-state tuition fees
  • Any undocumented individual who is able to pass all driver license requirements
AB 2000 Expansion of AB 540 Expands AB 540 to include students who graduate early from high school with 3 years of HS credit
  • Anyone eligible to apply for a license after completing their education
California Student Aid Commission AB 540 and AB 2000 Eligibility Information
AB 130

California Dream Act

First Bill

Students who meet the in-state tuition requirements are able to apply for and receive scholarships from non-state funds.
  • B-540 qualifying students
  • Those who have the qualifying income
UC Merced Resources on the CA Dream Act
AB 131

California Dream Act

Second Bill

Allows students that meet the in-state tuition requirements to apply for state financial aid at CA public colleges and universities.
  • Those who qualify for AB 540
CA Dream Act Website
SB 1210 CA DREAM Loan Program Undocumented students attending a UC or CSU campus may receive a loan of up to $4,000 each academic year with a cap of $20,000 total.
  • Those who qualify for AB 540
CSU Resource for Legislation Impacting Undocumented Students
SB 1159

Professional Licenses for 2016

This bill prohibits any of the 40 licensing boards under the California Department of Consumer Affairs from denying licensure to an applicant based on their citizenship status or immigration status.
  • Students who meet the AB 540 requirements and have obtained a high school diploma either by attending a CA high school or an accelerated learning program 
Professional and Occupational Licenses by State
AB 60

Driver License Implementation

This bill requires the Department of Motor Vehicles to issue driver licenses to an applicant who is unable to prove legal presence in the US.
  • Attend three full years of high school in CA or the equivalent for a GED
  • Graduate from a CA high school, obtain a Certificate of Completion or a GED in CA
  • Not possess a valid nonimmigrant visa (unless a T or a U)
DMV Information