Student Classroom Conduct Policy

This page serves to remind you of certain rights afforded students and certain options provided you under current University policies and procedures concerning inappropriate student conduct in the classroom. There are also available resources for students experiencing apparent psychological or material distress.

First, let us acknowledge that individual students may pose occasional or recurrent disciplinary problems in anyone’s classroom at any time. Should you confront such a situation, I encourage you to discuss potential resolution of the matter as soon as possible with Shona Milazo, Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Academic Student Services, Center for Academic and Student Achievement ( or 415-422-6113).

Article 19.2.2 of the Collective Bargaining Agreement reads:
"Faculty shall have the right to eject, for a specified period of time, a student whose conduct is disorderly, disruptive or obstructive (shouting or making bothersome noises, speaking out of turn repeatedly or otherwise disrupting the orderly classroom process). In such cases, faculty must inform the Dean, in writing, of the reasons why the student was required to leave the class. Such a student shall have the right to appeal this decision to the Dean."

Matters subject to University disciplinary procedures include, among others:

Disorderly, disruptive or obstructive behavior in or out of the classroom (e.g., shouting, or making bothersome noises, speaking out of turn repeatedly, or otherwise disrupting the orderly classroom process).

Physical abuse or sexual offense (or threats to do the same).

If you find a student engaging in disruptive behavior in your classroom, you should first speak to the student privately about the matter. If the student continues to behave in a disruptive or inappropriate manner, you may ask the student to leave the classroom. However, under no circumstances may you withdraw a student from your course: this right and responsibility rests with others.

You may also become aware of a student who is demonstrating erratic behavior outside of the classroom; you might be approached by the student or a confidante. You might discover a student is vulnerable to housing insecurity or a challenge with drugs and alcohol that compromises their own or others’ health and safety. To report disruptive or distressing student behavior, please do so with the Crisis Management and Behavioral Intervention Team (CMBIT). You can find the referral form along with a link to the Red Folder on the CMBIT website.

Should you need assistance in interpreting or applying any of the foregoing, in devising a creative solution to a persistent problem, or in determining how best to implement a course of action, please consult Shona.