Hiring Temporary Staff
HR Options (HRO) is a national HR service organization that has been providing employment services for over 35 years. The HRO team consists of dedicated human resources, payroll, and IT professionals committed to delivering personal attention and HR expertise.
HR Options collaborates with USF by assuming employment of temporary professionals and transfer of employment for certain individuals (e.g. retirees, independent contractors, project specialists, graduating students, etc.). USF outsources the employment liability, time, and resources necessary to employ and pay these individuals. HR Options provides HR support for these employees and administers all related employment benefits, including the various benefits plans, San Francisco benefit ordinances, and HR Options' 401K program.
Individuals referred to HR Options become HR Options W-2 employees and, as such, receive:
- Bi-weekly payroll direct deposits
- Income tax withholding and a W-2
- 401k offerings, Paid Time Off/Holidays (If applicable)
- State unemployment insurance eligibility
- Coverage under Workers’ Compensation insurance
- Other statutory insurances and benefits as applicable
- You can request to hire a temporary employee through HR Options by logging into the HoneycombHR system and clicking on your ‘Requests’ Module.
- Fill out the Hire Employee form for individuals you have already identified to fill your position and you would like to hire through HR Options.
- Fill out the Recruit for a Job form if you need HR Options’ assistance in full-cycle recruiting and placing temporary employees with USF.
- Once you have completed the request form(s), HR Options will contact the hiring manager to confirm any necessary details before beginning the hiring or recruitment process.
** If this is your first time hiring through HR Options or you do not have a HoneycombHR login, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get set up in our system and to initiate the hiring process.
HR Options allows for temporary professionals to be paid for projects in certain cases. Please reach out to an HR Options representative directly to discuss options for Project Pay at email@example.com.
Per USF guidelines, an independent contractor cannot be used to provide services that are a regular or key aspect of the University’s business, such as academic instruction or directing a University program, and cannot be hired to perform tasks that would normally be assigned to an employee. The IC Approval Request Form must be completed for submission to the Office of Internal Audit and Tax Compliance for review and approval before any services are performed by the individual.
Employees who do not meet the qualifications to be classified as an Independent Contractor should be referred to HR Options. HR Options is a preferred vendor for this purpose, however HR Options does not employ individuals in an independent contractor capacity.
Once HR Options has confirmed all assignment details (i.e. job title, pay rate, FOP, etc.), we will contact the temporary staff directly. HR Options will extend a verbal job offer to the employee and send an invitation using our paperless onboarding portal, HoneycombHR.com. Additionally, HR Options will complete the required background check and Workday applications prior to the start date.
HR Options will notify USF supervisors when the employee has completed their onboarding process and is cleared to begin their work assignment. HR Options will send the employee’s CWID and USF email along with instructions for the Mobile One Card Process prior to their first day, if building access is required.
HR Options employees working temporary assignments at USF will submit time worked through HROptions.HoneycombHR.com in accordance with a bi-weekly payroll cycle. If USF supervisors have not previously registered to use HR Options’ HoneycombHR system, a representative will reach out to schedule a New Supervisor Onboarding meeting to review the timesheet approval process, review the access and reports available in the system.
HR Options will submit invoiced charges via Concur for Human Resource approval on a bi-weekly basis. Individual departments can log in to E-print to view invoice details according to authorization levels.
There are numerous mandatory statutory taxes and insurances that must be paid in order to comply with federal and state employment requirements. Examples: Social Security, Medicare, Unemployment, Workers’ Compensation, General Liability, etc.
- The current cost for referring an employee to perform administrative work at USF is the employee’s hourly pay rate plus 26%.
- The current cost for recruiting an employee at the request of a hiring manager or business manager to perform administrative work at USF is the employee’s hourly pay rate plus 35%.
- If you are looking to employ an individual who is not a clerical worker (i.e. academic professional, laborer, members of the clergy etc.), as well as employees located outside of San Francisco, costs are subject to change.