Complete the Census
How the 2020 Census will invite everyone to respond
Every household will have the option of responding online, by mail, or by phone.
Nearly every household will receive an invitation to participate in the 2020 Census from either a postal worker or a census worker.
What to Expect in the Mail
When it's time to respond, most households will receive an invitation in the mail. Every household will have the option of responding online, by mail, or by phone.
Depending on how likely your area is to respond online, you'll receive either an invitation encouraging you to respond online or an invitation along with a paper questionnaire. The McCarthy Center will work with Residential Life to make sure students who are living in the dormitories are coordinated to respond accordingly to the Census.
Internet Response: While a paper form will still be available, or the first time the Internet will be the primary response option. Individuals will be able to respond to the 2020 Census online, or b phone or mail.
Home Visits: For the 2020 Census, U.S. Census Bureau will only visit homes that do not respond to the census. Census takers, also known as enumerators, will visit households that did not respond starting in late-April through early-July of 2020
When and how do I complete my 2020 Census Form?
- It is very easy. In March 2020, every household will receive a mailing from the U.S. Census Bureau with instructions to visit their website. Each household will fill out a simple 10-question form.
- Every person, including children, residing in the household needs to be included on the form in order to be counted.
- The information that will need to be provided includes: names, relationship to head of household, gender, age, birthday origin and race, status as a home owner or renter
- The form can be completed in 10 minutes. If a household does not respond, the Census Bureau will mail two reminders and a paper census form in the fourth mailing
- Other options for completing the form via telephone or mail will be available