External Programs

Important facts to know when doing an External study abroad program: 

  • All summer study abroad travel is considered an external program. A Leave of Absence is not required.
  • USF will NOT award Federal, State, or USF Financial Aid for the period while a student is on Leave of Absence, but some private loan options may be available. We recommend that a student consult a USF Financial Aid counselor for financial considerations and external options. Please refer to the Finance section of our website for detailed information. 
  • Students pay tuition, housing costs, and all other fees directly to the host institution/program, not to USF.
  • Students are required to complete a Leave of Absence form to avoid a billing statement from USF.
  • Students are required to complete a Waiver of Liability and the post-decision Questionnaires with their Emergency Contact Info and material items through their Study Abroad Portal as part of their Pre-Departure Materials
  • Students are required to complete an online Petition to Enroll at Another Institution (PEAI) form to assure that credit for course work transfers. Approvals from the following staff will be necessary: Study Abroad Advisor, Academic Advisor, School Dean (CASA), and the University Evaluator.
  • These pre-approved course units will transfer towards graduation, but the course names or grades will NOT appear on the student’s USF transcript.
  • The University of San Francisco does NOT recognize unaccredited study abroad programs or programs offered by unaccredited U.S. schools or agencies. Please contact us to see if a host program is considered accredited. 
  • The University of San Francisco does not approve or support study abroad to any country where a U.S. State Department Travel Warning exists, or where there is a Health Travel Advisory by the World Health Organization or by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention.
  • Students are expected to comply with all travel restrictions or sanctions imposed by the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the United States Treasury Department.

For additional information concerning a country's travel status, please consult the following websites: