General Accounting, under the direction of the University Controller, is responsible for the following:
- Overseeing the General (assets and liabilities) and Operating (revenues and expenses) Ledgers
- Coordinating cash activity. The Department coordinates with the University’s Cashier and departments throughout the University to monitor and establish all cash accounts while also performing all bank reconciliations on a monthly basis for the University.
- Accounting of capital projects Performs accounting, analysis, and monitoring related to capital project accounts and the University’s external debt. The Department establishes guidance for University departments on capital and debt accounting issues.
- Monitoring control processes. The Department functions as a high level monitor of all University financial activity through ongoing analysis and reconciliations.
- Developing reconciliation processes/procedures that ensure effective integration of all financial transactions.
- Establishing the University’s Accounting Calendar and overseeing posting/closing activities.