Cost of Attendance Appeal
You may request an appeal to your cost of attendance if you incur educational expenses greater than our standard cost of attendance or budget. If approved, increasing your cost of attendance may increase your eligibility for federal or private loans or outside resources you may receive. You may review USF's cost of attendance for you program of study on our website or on your myUSF Student Self-Service portal.
Note: Submitting a cost of attendance does not guarantee approval or an increase to your financial aid eligibility.
Expenses Generally Considered
- Living expenses including reasonable rent and utilities
- Books and supplies
- Transportation and travel expenses
- Child care
- One-time computer purchase
- Medical, dental, or vision care not covered by health insurance
- Disability expenses
- Additional course fees and expenses
How to file a Cost of Attendance Appeal
- Set up a time to talk to us. You can schedule a virtual appointment, call us at (415) 422-3387, email us at Financialaid@usfca.edu, or visit us in-person in LMM- 203. We will ask you questions to better understand your request.
- If you are eligible for a Cost of Attendance appeal, you will receive an email notification to log in to an online platform where you will be asked to upload a statement explaining your request and supporting documentations. The sooner we receive your documents, the sooner we can move forward in the process.
- If your request is approved, you will be notified by email.
- If your request is denied, you will be notified via email with a reason as to why your request was denied. Please read the email carefully. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us.
- A statement explaining your request for an adjustment to your cost of attendance including the amounts you are requesting.
- Supporting documentation that shows the amounts paid.
- Receipts of purchases
- Rental agreement or mortgage statements
- Class syllabus or letter from your program showing the required books and supplies