As part of the University’s overall Performance Management Program for non-union employees and OPE staff, the formal performance appraisal is a summary of the year-long communication between employees and supervisors.
The University requires that supervisors of non-union staff conduct a performance appraisal at least annually, and provide an instrument to do so. The timing of when performance appraisals are conducted can be based on the operational needs of individual divisions, schools/colleges, and departments.
Performance reviews consist of the following process:
- Employees complete a “self-appraisal” form to review their own performance from the previous year.
- Supervisors complete a “staff performance appraisal” form to review and assess their employee’s performance from the previous year, and to review and revise their employee’s goals as needed for the next year.
- Supervisors may use an appraisal form that is different than the university form. The form must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org for review and approval prior to use.
- Supervisors are required to meet one-on-one with their employees to review and discuss the self-appraisal and staff performance appraisal forms.
- If you have any questions about this process, please contact your Dean or Vice President. If you need assistance with the process itself, please contact the Human Resources office at (415) 422-6707 or email@example.com and we would be happy to provide support and guidance.
- Upon completion, all Departments are required to retain a copy of both the self-appraisal and the staff performance appraisal for each employee. Additionally, copies of performance appraisals must be sent to Human Resources at LMM 339, Lone Mountain Main.
For OPE staff, the process includes a check-in approximately mid-way through the annual review period. Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, employees are contractually obligated to meet with their supervisors for a mid-year performance check-in; no formal documentation (written evaluation) is required by either party. All signed and completed performance appraisals are due to Human Resources via email by May 14, 2021. For questions, please contact David Philpott at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Performance Appraisal Forms:
Please use the appropriate HR approved forms to complete your self-appraisal and, if applicable, your supervisors' appraisal(s). Supervisors may use an appraisal form that is different than the university form. The form must be sent to email@example.com for review and approval prior to use.
- Goal Setting Guidance (for all supervisors)
- Leadership Team Self Assessment form (for the Leadership Team)
- Administrative Staff Performance Appraisal Form (for non-union employees and their supervisors)
- OPE Supervisor Guidelines/Forms for Staff Appraisals (for supervisors of OPE staff)
- OPE Four-Month Probationary Appraisal Form (for OPE staff)