Change of Status
Current and prospective students who want to change from one visa type to another in the United States may have the option of applying for a Change of Status. Applying for a change of status can be difficult if your current status is going to expire soon. ISSS recommends making an appointment with an advisor in our office to discuss the process.
The process for applying to change status to a student visa includes the following:
- Acceptance to a USF program that allows F-1 or J-1 student enrollment
- Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) issued for "Change of Status"
- Complete the USCIS I-539 application and prepare supporting documents
- Meet with an ISSS advisor to discuss your application (highly recommended). ISSS staff can provide information on the basic application process and requirements, but we may refer you to an outside immigration attorney if you have specific questions about your situation.
- Submit application to USCIS
Change of Status applications can take months for USCIS to process and students can not leave the United States during this time, or the application will be automatically cancelled. For more details about the Change of Status application to an F-1 visa download this handout.