F-1 Employment

International students studying on an F-1 visa should keep in mind that the primary purpose of their visit to the United States is educational; working is always secondary and only students who are succeeding academically should pursue optional employment during their studies. F-1 students should know the following about their options for employment:

On-Campus Employment

International students in a degree seeking program are eligible for on-campus employment.

on-campus employment information

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

International students in a degree seeking program that has an internship or practical training component may be eligible for one or more semesters of CPT.

more on CPT

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

International students in a degree seeking program will have the option to apply for 12 months of work authorization during or after their studies.

more on practical training

After Mailing the OPT Application

International students who have applied for OPT will need to update their employment information, local address, and know the travel requirements for post-completion OPT.

what to do after mailing OPT

STEM OPT Extension

If you have a degree that is STEM eligible, you can apply for an extension of your OPT. Here is more information on the application process, reporting your employment and travel on STEM OPT.

* Students who have suffered an economic hardship and lost the funding they had for their education, may be eligible for work authorization. If you feel that you may be eligible, please contact ISSS and make an appointment with an advisor.