Did you know?
The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers are co-located in Gleeson Library.
Important notes for USF faculty:
- Previously we were referred to as the Learning & Writing Center (LWC). This is no longer accurate. We are now "The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers" (also referred to as the LWSC). Please adjust your language and syllabus accordingly.
- We are located in Gleeson Library, on the Lower Level (Room G03). Feel free to stop by to see us!
- The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers will continue to offer a hybrid of in-person and online academic support services and resources throughout the Fall 2023 term.
In alignment with our missions, staff members from the Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers partner with USF faculty to help students achieve the goals set for the course. Common partnerships include:
- Peer Tutoring: The Learning Center works with faculty to provide Peer Tutors who can assist students with the development of course-specific study strategies and a greater understanding of course material. Being recommended by a USF faculty member is a requirement for students during the Peer Tutor application process.
- Supplemental Instruction (SI): The Learning Center pairs undergraduate student leaders with each section of courses that have been identified as an appropriate fit for the SI Program. These are typically courses with high enrollments, ones that are historically-challenging for students, and/or ones that are "gatekeeper" courses for degree progression.
- Learning Center Workshops: Learning Center staff can facilitate workshops on course-specific topics and skills, including time management, study skills, procrastination, test-taking skills, note-taking techniques, motivation & goal-setting, and reading strategies. Request a Learning Center workshop by visiting our Study Skills & Resources webpage.
- Speaking Center Workshops: Speaking Center staff can facilitate workshops on various topics, including public speaking, visual aid presentations, group presentations, the four basic modes of presentation delivery, and the importance of verbal and nonverbal communication. To request a Speaking Center workshop by visiting the Speaking Center Workshops webpage.
- 1:1 Academic Skills Coaching: Learning Center staff members are available to meet one-on-one with any USF undergraduate or graduate student to discuss academic skills and strategies, and to offer individualized support for course-specific needs. Faculty members can encourage students to make an appointment on our website (under "Quick Links") or they can contact us directly at 415-422-6713 or email@example.com to refer a student.
Each semester the Learning Center and the Speaking Center hire undergraduate students to work with their fellow students at USF and students within the city of San Francisco. The Learning Center also hires graduate students to work as academic coaches within its Project Success Program.
Members of the USF community, including faculty, staff, and current students, can nominate students for Learning Center employment opportunities through our Nomination Form.
NOTE: Upon receipt of your nomination the Learning Center reaches out to the nominee with an invitation to apply. This form is NOT the program-specific recommendation that applicants may request of you. They should be sending you additional information regarding the official recommendation process as they continue through the process.
The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers encourage faculty members to include information for students about our services and programs in course syllabi. A sample blurb is included below, and can be revised or shortened to fit the course's needs.
The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers at USF provide individualized support to assist you in better understanding course material and to aid you on your path to success. Services are free and include one-on-one tutoring, group tutoring, and one-on-one Academic Skills Coaching appointments to discuss effective study strategies. The Learning Center supports an array of courses each semester. The Writing Center helps students develop writing skills in rhetoric, organization, style, and structure, through one-on-one interactive conferences. The Speaking Center helps students prepare for public speaking - including speeches, oral presentations, team presentations, and visual aid demonstrations. International students may also contact the Centers to learn more about communicating with professors and general academic study skills.
The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers are located on the Lower Level of Gleeson Library. Please contact them at (415) 422-6713 for further assistance or visit: https://myusf.usfca.edu/lwsc to make an appointment.
As described in the Common Partnerships section, we coordinate numerous academic and professional workshops each semester. Staff members can visit the classroom and conduct a workshop in a faculty member's absence to keep the class focused and better prepared for mastering new material.
- Learning Center Workshops: Learning Center staff can facilitate workshops on course-specific topics and skills, including time management, study skills, procrastination, test-taking skills, note-taking techniques, motivation & goal-setting, and reading strategies. To request a Learning Center workshop, click here.
- Speaking Center Workshops: Speaking Center staff can facilitate workshops on various topics, including public speaking, visual aid presentations, group presentations, the four basic modes of presentation delivery, and the importance of verbal and nonverbal communication. To request a Speaking Center workshop, visit the Speaking Center's webpage.
We ask that all requests be submitted at least two weeks in advance. We aim to respond to all submissions within two business days. If you have any questions about workshops please contact us at 415-422-6713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Learning, Writing, and Speaking Centers are now located in Gleeson Library, which has ample study space for individual students and small groups.
More information can be found at: https://libcal.usfca.edu/reserve/groupstudy.
Gleeson Library has computers and multi-function photocopiers for all USF students to use for copying, printing, and scanning course-related materials. Information about how to use the service, can be found at: https://library.usfca.edu/copy-print-scan
The Learning Center has a wide array of textbooks (some of which professors use in their classes) that can also be checked out, to help with studying or further understanding of class material. Students can contact us at 415-422-6713 or email@example.com regarding textbook check-outs.
Please use this form to request an available Informational Session about the Learning Center and our academic support services along with our partnering centers, Writing and Speaking Centers. (Please submit a request at least two weeks in advance, if possible). This form seeks to gather as many details as possible to ensure we can prepare a relevant and useful experience for participants.
Request an Informational Session with the LC here.