Academic Skills Development
Learning Center Study Skills & Resources
The Learning Center strives to foster the enhancement of academic skills and abilities to assist students in becoming independent learners by providing multiple layers of support to USF undergraduate and graduate-level students. With the goal of increasing student persistence and self-regulation, The Learning Center provides:
- Academic Skills Workshops (by request and as part of "Final Stretch to Success Week" at the end of each term)
- Academic Skills Coaching (one-on-one, hour-long appointments, in-person or online via Zoom)
- Online academic resources (included within this webpage)
For more information, please stop by The Learning Center in Gleeson Library, Room G03 (Lower Level) or contact us at 415-422-6713 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learning Center academic skills coaches are available to meet one-on-one with any USF undergraduate or graduate student to discuss academic skills and strategies, including (but not limited to):
- Time Management and Organization (includes prioritization and planning)
- Test-taking and Exam Preparation (includes positive thinking)
- Active Study (includes structured study time, note-taking strategies, and critical reading)
- Motivation and Goal-Setting (includes procrastination)
- Learning Styles and Preferences (includes an overview of campus study spaces)
- ...and more!
To schedule an individualized Academic Skills Coaching appointment, please log in to our centralized scheduling system.
Submit an evaluation of your Academic Skills Coaching experience here
(after your appointment)
Learning Center staff can facilitate workshops on an array of topics and skills. To request a Learning Center workshop, please fill out our request form and select one of our workshop offerings:
- "Time Management & '168' Prioritization"
- "Test-Taking and Exam Preparation"
- "Active Study – Part I (Note-taking & Reading Strategies)"
- "Active Study – Part II (Critical Thinking & Metacognition)"
- "Preparing for Finals: A 7-Day Study Plan"
- "Making Group Work Work"
The workshop request form seeks to gather as many details as possible to ensure we can prepare a relevant and useful experience for participants. Please review the available workshop descriptions within the form before submitting. If none of the workshop offerings seem to fit your vision, simply contact us at email@example.com or 415-422-6713 for more information.
Want to learn more about time management, test-taking skills, and more...on your own? Be sure to check out our free webinar series, DonTALKS, which cover an array of techniques you can use to better yourself as a present student and future professional.
Time Management Resources:
- 7-Step Goal Setting Worksheet: 7-Step Goal Setting.pdf
- The 7-Day Study Plan
- Prioritization Parts I and II.pdf
- The Power of Zero.pdf
Stress Management Resources
Test Prep: Positive Thinking Exercises:
- Positive Thinking Exercise #1: Positive Contradictions.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #2: Flash Cards.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #3: Positive Inventory.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #4: Controlled Breathing.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #5: Dealing with the Fear Response.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #6: Muscle Relaxation.pdf
- Positive Thinking Exercise #7: Rehearsing the Test.pdf
Websites & Applications
Test-Taking and Memorization Resources
- Memorization Strategies
- Memorization and Test-Taking Tips
- "Tips for better test taking" from the Study Guides and Strategies website
- Mnemonics: Index of Popular Mnemonics
- OnlineSchools.Org: Guide for College Level Tests
"Great links for writers"
Additional Tools and Services
- Study Blue: The online home for your class notes, flashcards, and course materials
- Evernote: Keep Tabs on Everything
- Remember the Milk: Electronic Reminders
- Free Mind: Free Mind Mapping Software
- Chegg: Online Study Community
- VassarStats: Statistics Computation Tool
- Connexions: Online Learning Community
- Online College Courses: Free online courses from the world's leading universities
- Study Hacks: Student success advice blog by students for students
- OCW Finder: Database of open course ware